Very slow DB (1 Viewer)

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:30
Hi,

My DB is very slow when it's used by more than 1 person at a time. It's divided into FE/BE. The BE is in a shared server and a copy of the FE is in each person's machine.

I don't know why it takes ages to respond. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
B

MStef

Registered User.
Local time
Try to COMPACT Be and all Fe.

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
MStef said:
Try to COMPACT Be and all Fe.
I have done that before I loaded them into the server. But it did not help.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i have a similar problem. There is a larger MS support article including that and several other ideas. I haven't got the reference but search for "Performance Issues" in MS Knowledge base.

it includes this delay, also long file paths, autolookuptables in A2003 (thats not the right word), manitaining a permanent link to the be dbs, and others.

I have a large DBS >30Mb thats really quick with one user, and really slow with more than one. All the switchboard does is check the validity of the table links by testing one file, and checks a user table to see if the user is already active, but it can be really slow even doing this. So its definitely not a data transfer issue. It was originally A97, and performed better, but there are now a few A2003 features.

I've thought of migrating to SQL but I didn't really want to have to do that.

One thing A2003 definitely is much slower than A97 on equivalent machines. I think A2003 must need a bigger machine than A97.

Any thoughts, anyone?

John.Woody

Registered User.
Local time
Yes Bee I have used it in numerous offices and it has made a difference every time.

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
John.Woody said:
Yes Bee I have used it in numerous offices and it has made a difference every time.
Cool, will give it ago then.
I have a lot of queries with many search criterias that I use for search e.g. users can type a character and then all persons' names that start with that char will come up. Since, it's bringing data over a network, I thought that may slow the performance down.

I can remember reading in this forum or somewhere else that to optimize DB performance, you don't bind your forms/queries to the DB all the time. You just create a refresh button that refreshes data from the DB whenever you need to.

Does anyone know anything about this technique? Do queries remain active in A2003 and A2000 when not used?

Last edited:

Bee

Registered User.
Local time
gemma-the-husky said:
i have a similar problem. There is a larger MS support article including that and several other ideas. I haven't got the reference but search for "Performance Issues" in MS Knowledge base.

it includes this delay, also long file paths, autolookuptables in A2003 (thats not the right word), manitaining a permanent link to the be dbs, and others.

I have a large DBS >30Mb thats really quick with one user, and really slow with more than one. All the switchboard does is check the validity of the table links by testing one file, and checks a user table to see if the user is already active, but it can be really slow even doing this. So its definitely not a data transfer issue. It was originally A97, and performed better, but there are now a few A2003 features.

I've thought of migrating to SQL but I didn't really want to have to do that.

One thing A2003 definitely is much slower than A97 on equivalent machines. I think A2003 must need a bigger machine than A97.

Any thoughts, anyone?
I only use A2000 - A2003. I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom