Access Crash Rant (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:53
My Access 2000 project crashed and the computer dutifully asked to report the error to Microsoft, so I let it run. I then looked at the subsequent screen and was surprised. Well - silly me, maybe I shouldn't have been.:mad:

This screen simply said that Access 2000 was in "extended support" and my "solution" was to upgrade to a newer version. This was a bit irritating since the purpose of reporting feedback is to provide an opportunity to fix program bugs. So why ask the user to provide an error report if that report will simply be ignored and only used for a sales pitch.

While Microsoft has every right to discontinue product development, I would hope that they would still try to fix bugs that cause a program to crash. I guess Microsoft's quality control department has been outsourced to the same company that Dilbert works for. Additionally, I find euphemisms, such as "extended support" for "You are out of any help options, tough luck" to be quite irritating. Why not directly admit that we are on our own.

Also I am still on a slow boil over over the last six years by the fact that help for DAO/ADO disappeared from Access 2000 help which was in Acess97 help and Microsoft never got around to making it available as an update.

Back to work now.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Very Funny. Now if it can only be implemented!:D

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:53
ADO help is a seperate download for Access 2000 but it is now been incorporated in Access 2003

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Dennisk - Thanks for the reply. I have learned how to get around this issue by buying books. I just remembered that SQL help also "disappeared" from Access2000. Another thing to complain about.

If you have a link to DAO, I wouldn't mind it. The one I found on the Microsoft website is geared to C++ programmers, which I am not.

For others; this website is a good DAO/ADO intro: http://www.classanytime.com/mis333k/sjdaoadorecordsets.html

SQL help form Microsoft is at:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140011(office.10).aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140015(office.10).aspx

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:53
As I have both A97 and 2000 I can always get dao help from aA97.

RoyVidar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:53
On your harddrive, look for (and create shortcut to?)

ado2#.chm, dao360.chm, jetsql40.chm, jeterr40.chm

and whatever other chm files you need.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Roy thanks for the reply. I found the jetsql40.chm, jeterr40.chm files. After clicking on them, Microsoft provided the following friendly response:
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable. :rolleyes:

Well, I've learned many years ago to live without this "help" from Microsoft. We are very fortunate to have this forum to get answers. This forum has helped me out a lot and I hope to be able to help others too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom