append importing Excel table into access table? (1 Viewer)

tenchy

Local time
Today, 15:35
I have a database with existing tables.
I now want to add a whole bunch of records into my access tables.
A lot of the data is repeated, and lends itself to my doing it in excel with it's better copy and paste abilities, and it's ability to easily increment alphanumeric fields.

I can't seem to succeed in append importing to the bottom of my access table from my excel spreadsheet. All columns are the same.

Can this be done, and if so how please?

I'm on XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro.
I'm also very much a newbie in Access.

tenchy

Local time
Forget it sorry.

I definately couldn't get it to work yesterday, but today it worked first time. Sorry guys and gals.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
import the spreadsheet to a new access table

then do an append query to the current table

if your keys are indexed uniquely correctly, the append will reject any duplicates

--------------
i think you are wrong - access is far far quicker at handling and sorting large quantities of data than excel.

its understanding the access paradigm thats the think - you mentioned incrementing alpha-numeric values - thats the point - although you can have them in access, you don't really need them, and thinking in those terms just gets in the way.

what access actually gives you is an intrinsically unordered set of data that matches your requirements - how you sort and/or total it, is up to you.

but open an access table, and see how a-z sorts, dragging columns, filters, searches, etc are blindingly fast, compared with the rigmarole of doing this with an excel sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom