Small rant :p (1 Viewer)

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Today, 15:32
There are times when it is just necessary to have a little rant, a canniption if you will.

For the last few weeks I have been working off-and-on with a new database for a salmon hatchery. One of the forms I designed contained a subform in continuous form view that flickered inordinately when first loaded. Now, there's a lot of code going on behind controls etc to run sql updates or deletes or appends depending on what the user clicked. There was also some code to alternate the row color of the continuous form. I spent literally days trying to find what part of my code was causing the problem.

I swore a lot.

I searched.

I eventually gave up as other priorities began to arise at work. I resigned myself to my fate.

Then I discovered, quite by accident, that the problem arose by the use of some unassociated labels being present on my form. I removed them, replaced them with labels associated with a control, and presto: the form flickering/reloading magically vanishes.

Great.

But what a colossal PITA for something so bloody stupid. There's absolutely no reason why this should occur IMHO. Honestly: it's hard enough to learn VBA, SQL, and relational db design without having to deal with poorly documented glitches like this. There are days when I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of Access, then something like this comes along and I want to send a lynch mob to redmond! :mad:

Ok, end of rant :) Hope the solution to my problem comes in handy for someone else someday.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Craig:

Remember - Access = Love/Hate Relationship = inordinate stress at times

I feel your pain - often.

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
Interesting link Wazz :) In my situation the flickering occured without moving the mouse on the form.

And yeah, agree with you 100% Bob. Love/Hate it is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom