Add Part Number sudden not working (1 Viewer)

Hope

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:22
Attached is the database we have been using for about 2 months now and all the sudden when your trying to add a new part number to the system it is not working, can someone please look at this and let me know what I am doing wrong.

if you follow these steps you will see what I'm talking about:

open frmSearch1
click Administrate Parts
Add a Part number, example F-1234-5941
click a type, example:Leg
add 2.5 in for mini TD and 3.5 for maxi TD
close
click exit
open frmMenu
Click Add test record
click the part number drop down button and the part number should show and its not

Any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• TargetDensityJan15.zip
    128.5 KB · Views: 99
Local time
Today, 04:22
I really mean no disrespect, but I don't understand why the process of adding a part is so convoluted or requires any VBA code at all. And since you are getting the "new" part number from VBA, you need to enter data into the table via VBA. I don't see any code that does that.

Also, I cannot begin to fathom why the types are on the form. When I move from type record to type record, the comments field shows a different part number.

I was able to get your new part number into the table by changing the value in the comments field to the new part number.

I just cannot follow it all. Why don't you just make a simple part number entry form with no VBA behind it?

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
I have to agree with George! I downloaded your app and spent two hours trying to figure out what you were doing without any success. It appears that you're trying (unsuccessfully) to expend about ten times the energy to do something that Access would do automatically with proper database design. To be honest, if a student came to me with this, my advice to him/her would be to scrap everything except for the tables, stop and do some rethinking about what they're doing and start over from square one.

Hope

Registered User.
Local time
form

OK, I made a ADDPart form instead, and know my problem is how do I get it to continue, I have it set to continues form but is not working properly. Each Part could have different types so you have to enter it together, like part 12345 would have type Leg with min of 3.0 and max3.2 and would have type center with min 2.8 and max 3.0. So I have to enter that all in on that screen? I know I can enter in twice but I'd rather have it enter at one time by clicking tab and it drops down, instead of clicking the arrow on the bottom of the screen to scroll

Attachments

• TargetDensityJan15.zip
    150.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Local time
I can't get into your db at the moment but I have a few observations, until then.

You can normalize those parameters and put them into a different table. Then you can create a subform that links to your main Part form and allows entry of the parameters. These are drag and drop operations. Or better yet, use the form wizard. It is a couple of minutes work.

You should allow Access to do all the dirty work. If it were as hard to use as many people seem to think it is, I would be developing with Java or C#. Fact is, developing with Access is criminally (embarassingly) easy and shouldn't require much code for anything but the most complex problems.

Hope

Registered User.
Local time
sorry still learning this, and I didn't think access was that hard and I know I'm making it out to be harding then it is. I believe I already have the tables broke down enough? I guess I have a problem with subforms too

Last edited:
Local time
Use the wizard. Try selecting data from more than one table in the wizard and see what the wizard generates. I think you'll be pleased with the result.

After the wizard generates, you can drag the fields around where you want them.

Still not able to use Access (I'm running a 2 billion row append). I'll check it out when I'm done.

Hope

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you

Hello, George I just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I think I got it to work, going to start entering data and have people use it to see if anything fails.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:22
open frmSearch1
click Administrate Parts
Add a Part number, example F-1234-5941
click a type, example:Leg
add 2.5 in for mini TD and 3.5 for maxi TD
close
click exit
open frmMenu
Click Add test record
{refresh the part number drop down}
click the part number drop down button and the part number should show and its not

but anyway in this scenario, after add test record, you would need a
dropdown.requery to get the dropdown to reload the new data

Local time
Any time

Hello, George I just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I think I got it to work, going to start entering data and have people use it to see if anything fails.

Any time. If you have additional problems, just let us know.

BTW, I'm still running my multi-billion row procedure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom