Updating Access Tables from Excel (1 Viewer)

SteveJones

Local time
Today, 07:12
Hi, can someone please help with this?

I have a table for storing details of share prices relating to specific certificate numbers, so only the £ value and the value date changes when we update (done manually at present).

The updates for different companies are done at different times, hence I cannot just delete and import new data, it needs to be an update to a value from an excel sheet (the excell sheet is downloaded from the web provider in question).

I had thought of using "get external data" to create a new or ad to a new table, then an update query to update the main table from the new one, but again cannot seem to get it to work on the specific certificate numbers.

As you can see I have little knowledge on code etc, and have so far only used macros to automate the application we use, can anyone please help???

Thanks in advance!

Steve

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 02:12
Hi, can someone please help with this?

I have a table for storing details of share prices relating to specific certificate numbers, so only the £ value and the value date changes when we update (done manually at present).

The updates for different companies are done at different times, hence I cannot just delete and import new data, it needs to be an update to a value from an excel sheet (the excell sheet is downloaded from the web provider in question).

I had thought of using "get external data" to create a new or ad to a new table, then an update query to update the main table from the new one, but again cannot seem to get it to work on the specific certificate numbers.

As you can see I have little knowledge on code etc, and have so far only used macros to automate the application we use, can anyone please help???

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Steve,

I don't really know what you're asking here. Do you have a linked table from Access to Excel? Do you import new data everytime? Are you trying to update Access tables in Access that are linked to Excel?

What isn't working exactly? Are you downloading new spreadsheets from the internet into Excel everytime you need updates?
it needs to be an update to a value from an excel sheet (the excell sheet is downloaded from the web provider in question).
What do you mean by this? It's a little unclear. Sorry...

SteveJones

Local time
Today, 07:12
Hi Alex, many thanks for your reply, basically:

I have built an application with many tables (personal address and name etc, including one that holds certificate details), the certificate details has fields such as Autonumber &Key, Cert Number, Value, Value Date, Cost etc, etc. Around three monthly the value and value date needs to be updated to send to the persona in question, this is done manually. We can get the values for everyone holding a certain companies certificate off the net, downloaded and held in an excell sheet, we can obviously edit this to replicate the Access field names if necc.
I then need to get that new detail (value and date) for each specific record (there are many and they have varying company names, e.g, Shell, Microsoft, Virgin, etc, so the update must be restricted to the specific cert numbers on the excel sheet, this is why I feel I cannot do a delete as I will lose the rest, in addition if I import new data with "Get external Data" I will end up with two of each!

Once again thanks for your interest, I hope I have explained myself a little clearer!
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom