Cannot navigate records in form (1 Viewer)

eildon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:02
I am pretty new with this so pls excuse ignorance. I have designed a form based on a table. I have used a macro to go to a new record(append) when form is opened. Trouble is after I open form the navigation buttons on buttom will not move between records as if it is locked. I searched forum firts but could not see an answer, so sorry if this has already been covered.
Thx

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:02
I have used a macro to go to a new record(append) when form is opened.

Where is this macro located and what does it contain? Few of us here use macros, with the possible exception of AutoExec and AutoKeys, opting instead to use VBA code. If you've opened your form in append mode, as your post suggests, then all you can do is add records. You cannot view existing records. Setting the form's Data Entry Property to Yes does the same thing.

With Data Entry Property set to No you can use this code to always open the form to a new record, while still retaining the ability to scroll thru existing records.

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
  DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
End Sub

eildon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:02
Thanks for reply missing....

Thanks for that. I used the code instead of the macro and checked the properties and it works fine. I am teaching my self again as I use to write applications in dBase iv back in the 80's, and havn't programmed anything since except a few bits and pieces. Its taking a bit to get to know where everything fits.

two things. I have made a couple of scroll up scroll down cmd boxes to click and move thru records instead of having a nav bar at the bottom. Is that the best way to look at records or would you suggest something else??.

one more....

Is there a way I can put together an app and have it as a stand alone app without the framework of access around it?.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:02
two things. I have made a couple of scroll up scroll down cmd boxes to click and move thru records instead of having a nav bar at the bottom. Is that the best way to look at records or would you suggest something else??.
There isn't necessarily a "best way" to do that. It all depends on how you want it to look and act. If you prefer to uses your own navigation instead of the nav buttons at the bottom, then by all means do it.

Is there a way I can put together an app and have it as a stand alone app without the framework of access around it?.
No, you can't. You can, however, use a method to not display the Access Window but it is a bit of a pain because you have to run all forms as popup and you have to figure out what has to close, and in what order, to be able to do it all. There are several posts around on the forum which go into this.

Poseidon1

Local time
Today, 11:02
Hi all,

I have similar problems of navigating records in form. when I enter the records, I can scroll through back and forth with ease, but if I close and open the form again, all the records are lost in the form and they were saved to the table. I am wondering if there is any possible way of getting around this in order to make it easier for the user to edit the past data instead of going to the table and editing field by field?

Thank you in advance for any help!!

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:02
In Form Design View, goto Properties - Data and set the Data Entry Property to No. Data Entry allows you to only enter new records; you cannot view existing records. Despite its name, it's not necessary to set it to Yes in order to enter records. To be able to enter records, only the AllowAdditons Property has to be set to Yes.

Poseidon1

Local time
Today, 11:02
In Form Design View, goto Properties - Data and set the Data Entry Property to No. Data Entry allows you to only enter new records; you cannot view existing records. Despite its name, it's not necessary to set it to Yes in order to enter records. To be able to enter records, only the AllowAdditons Property has to be set to Yes.

Hi,

I've looked at it and the dataentryproperty has been set to NO but I'm still having the same problems..There is another thread with similar problems and someone suggested to use this VBA codes

this will open the form in add mode:

Dim stDocName As String
Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "frmPermitOrderDetails"
DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , acFormAdd

this will allow you to navigate through all the records:

Dim stDocName As String
Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "frmPermitOrderDetails"
DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

I copied it and changed the form name..still doesn't work..Advice again perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom