Wireless headset for presenters (1 Viewer)

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Today, 07:56
I need to get someone a wireless microphone/PA system that they can use when presenting Powerpoint shows to medium-sized groups.

They're convinced this can be done with a bluetooth headset, paired with the PC, using the PC's soundcard to output the speech to a set of PC speakers.

Assuming the output side of things has sufficient power to actually project the sound to the group, is this possible?

I've used wireless headsets to get sound into a computer before (for recording), but I'm unsure whether a PC with a bluetooth microphone can be used for live public address.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:56
If it has sufficient power then yes you could do it this way but I would not recommend it.

A sound card has very limited capabilities when it comes to processing because you need to have some kind of echo cancellation or you will have to turn your speakers down which of course defeats the purpose. You could have the speakers a long way from the mic but if the area's acoustics are poor your looking for trouble :p

A pro PA kit will use a radio mic (say tie clip) receiver, mixing desk (with or without an amp stage) to handle echo cancellation, tone controls and levels and or power amps and speakers, you don't have to go this far but you get the idea.

You can get mini-PA's that are simple (I'll see if I can get some links when I get home for you) and that would be the best way.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 23:56
The other "drawback" I think you'll find with a Bluetooth headset for doing this is the delay that occurs. So, people will hear you talking and then shortly thereafter hear what you said coming from the speakers as there is a bigger delay with Bluetooth than with, say, an infrared system.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:56
Sorry my explanation wasn't very good tbh - was rushed of my feet all day without food.

I shouldn't have mentioned echo cancellation (got that on my brain atm :p) What I should have said is the main problem you'll find is that a bluetooth headset is also more 'sensitive' as it picks up much more ambient sound. If you've ever heard someone on a bluetooth headset you can hear lots of background noise (generally speaking, some are better than others though).

So you'll find they are far more likely to pick up you and therefore echo.

Proper radio mics don't they will only pick up sound a few feet away.

And of course bob's point about delay is also very good :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom