Destroying all data on laptop HDD (1 Viewer)

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
Today, 09:36
Hi, i'm in the process of selling a laptop and am now fearing for the data that once resided on said HDD, i haven't got the time (nor money MR BROWN) to get another as the laptop is a bit old by todays standards but still functions...having read articles about data deletions,this again would cost me for software solutions.

Does any one know of a quick and surefire way of zapping the HDD, i've been told silly ideas like sticking it in the oven, but appreantly HDD can survive extreme temperatures :mad: ...

thanks for any suggests good, bad or inventive ... :)

Call_Me_Sam

Chief Imperial Navigator
Local time
Today, 09:36
thanks Ron_dk for the quick reply..i'll give it a whirl tonight..i like 'free'..

Lil' Rascal

y = x
Local time
Today, 02:36
Also check out D-Ban. It's free. I've not personally used the solution Ron proposed. I'm sure it works just as good. One overwriting product is generally as good as the next and I assume that Erasure uses overwriting.

If you want to physically destroy the HDD it's not that hard to crack the case. If it's an older Hitachi or IBM laptop drive the HDD platter will more than likely shatter when you bend it. It can be quite messy and the shards are sharp. Other wise you can fold the platter in half or into quarters. That will render the platter (As far as it's known) unreadable. Using this method, the data is still on the platter it's just unreadable without what they dub in the business 'exotic' means of data recovery.

I myself like to take things apart and I've destroyed many a HDD. It also relieves any angst that might be associated with the ownership of an older laptop. lol

If you're really into it, look up the local data sanitization standards. In England you're looking for HMG InfoSec 5. In the States it'll be DOD 5220.22-M. HMG and DOD are fairly similar According to those standards a three pass overwrite with verification is sufficient for any even government level data destruction. The guys down at CMRR in San Diego say that a one pass overwrite with verification is sufficient to destroy all data. There are those however that will argue about 'ghosting' or off-track reading and writing but the odds of either of those scenarios in my opinion is slim to none.

Have fun :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom