Question help securing database (1 Viewer)

kujeremy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:36
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Here is my situation - I left an area which I had made a database for them to track information in. The person whom I handed the database over to decided it was a good idea to tell the users that they can hold down shift when they open the database to go in as an administrator. As you can probably guess the end users are now entering data directly into the tables, bypassing the forms I had set up and the edits on the form. This has led to some bad/invalid data being entered into the tables. Someone also somehow managed to either delete/move the database entirely. I received a call saying that the database had dissappeared the other day - thankfully our IS staff was able to recover from last week so not all was lost.

So now my question - what I am currently planning on doing for them is to split the database and put the back end in an out of the way folder, and hiding everthing in the front end so even if the users do open with the shift key nothing will be shown.

What I would also like to do if possible is to simply disable the shift key when opening - is there a way to do that, and if so how do you get in as an administrator afterwards?

Since I am not in that area any more I can't dedicate a lot of time to helping them out and am looking for any other suggestions I can use to make sure that the users have to enter through the entry forms and prevent them from deleting the database again.

This database is on a network drive in a folder that only employees of that division can access.

Thanks for any help and let me know if any additional information is needed.

kujeremy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:36
ghudson - thanks for the response, I did search (way more than I should have actually) maybe I wasn't using the correct terms? I don't know if I missed that thread all together or just bypassed it in my mind because of all the code, but I'm going to really look at it next week and hopefully add it to the database.

For the second link - if the end user actually opens my database up normally then they already have to use my exit button to close any form or close the database as it doesn't have any of the minimize/maximize/close buttons on it.

Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom