Site design (1 Viewer)

Graybenham

Local time
Today, 23:00
I maintain a website which up until recently was 'Frames'. THe top frame which held the navigation info and the lower frame which displayed the page. I understand frames is old hat so I am trying to find an alternative. Initially thought if I made a template page which had the navigation bar on it, i could then adjust every page with the same navigation info on it but with different content. This i found wasnt economical or practical because when i added new pages i had to change every single page to adjust the navigation info.
Is there a way I could do this with PHP (or other format) where the navigation or header info is stored separately. This code to access the info would be on every page but any alteration to the navigation bar would only have to be changed once on the separate page. Is this possible and if so how would I do it.
Examples would be much appreciated.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 18:00
What you want to do is common with scripting languages like PHP and ASP.

What you want to use is called Server Side Includes (SSI)

Here is a reference for PHP: PHP Include File

I recommend that you look through w3schools PHP section

HiTechCoach

Local time
Graybenham,

I have been creating and maintaing web sites suinte 1996.

I now do all my sites using a Content mangement System. I have use several. The one i use the mose form LAMP site is Joomla. I use it for my own sites and almost all my cleint use it for their sites. A lot of hosint companies even offer an isntall script to install it.

I built the site almost comepltely in a web browser.

See: http://www.joomla.org

Here is one of my own sites that uses it: http://www.hitechcoach.com

himanshu singh

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:30
Hello HiTechCoach, I have a question i did my website and I publish the settings to swf-file and html-file and when I open the html file my website is to the left but I want my website to be in center of the screen, can u tell my how to center the website,

HiTechCoach

Local time
Set the paragraph's align property to center.

See this (Click Here)

FWIW: I normally never use flash except for animated banners. I see very few pros and mostly cons to building an entire site in flash.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:00
Try using stylesheets: (css), this will center the entire site with a width of 1000px, there is additional information as well:

Code:
body { background-color: white; line-height: 1.1em; margin: auto; height: 100%; width: 1000px; font-size: 14px; font-family: Cambria, Tahoma, Arial, Verdana , Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #2C2864; }

html { margin: auto; height: 100%; width: 100%; }
This will take up the whole screen:
Code:
body { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; margin: auto; text-align: center; height: 100%; width: 100%; line-height: 1em; font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, arial, helvetica, verdana, san-serif; color: #6F6F6F; text-decoration: none }

html { height: 100%; width: 100%; }
Simon

As an additional footnote I discovered jwplayer to handle audio and video

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom