Copyright, When, if ever? (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:20
I ask again, what is the benifit of not providing these protections?
The benefit of not providing protections would promote creativity in many ways.

One, it would removing the fear factor of infringement. The lawyers seem to find the ambiguity between new and infringing to be extremely fertile ground for the broadcast planting of lawsuits. Derivative Artwork Inspiring Derivative Artwork -- But Will The Lawyers Ruin It?

A lot of creativity is incremental in nature. Consequently, it is difficult to ascertain whether the incremental improvement is really new versus infringing. For example, what about those people who remix? When Musicians Get Excited About Remixes, Cool Things Happen: Jay-Z, Nick Drake And Jason Parker Do Jazz

Then there is the growing assertion by some authors that they can control the "facts" associated with their works. The benefit of "not providing these protections" would be the restoration of the concept that facts are not an entitlement under copyright. Orson Scott Card on J.K Rowliing.

An associated issue to the Rowling controversy, is that some authors have used copyright to attack their own fan base. The benefit of "not providing these protections" would be the restoration of the concept that the fan base would be free to promote the work of the author as a from of appreciation. Nothing like having a large fan base promoting your work for free. Word of mouth is cheaper than hiring an advertising firm. Too bad some authors don't seem to realize that.

A more critical issue from my perspective is the increasing assertion by some manufactures that the user does not have an ownership (private property) privilege. With Kinect Controller, Hackers Take Liberties. The benefit of "not providing these protections" would be the restoration of the concept that the user owns the hardware that they buy and can modify it as they see fit.

Restoring the effective time period (to 14 years?) for when works are covered by copyright, would allow other content creators to build on these works as the copyright expires. This is one of the goals of copyright. Just think of all the trouble that Micky Mouse could get into without papa Disney controlling his every move!!!!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
A meaningful life only comes from the fruition of your efforts. Without protection the opposite of what you suggest would occur.

Millions of jobs around the world would cease to exist. The ration of things created by entities protected by intellectual property laws is billions of times that which is created by the public domain.
Every product you take for granted is brought to you by people that were protected. Nothing in what you have written produces any evidence to the contrary.

If you are forced to refrain from coping my materials, you are forced to invent something new.

Maybe even something better.

Your argument that people are reluctant to get into the market for fear of litigation has no merit. We live in a time of exploding expansion of human knowledge and creativity.

Who will pay for research in a world without protection?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Once again, I disagree. We have both stated our positions. We will perhaps "dual" once again. :) Good luck.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Once again, I disagree. We have both stated our positions. We will perhaps "dual" once again. :) Good luck.

Mine is not opinion, millions of jobs have been created in the current system, and we are in the most productive period in history. These things are facts.

My challenge to your assertions is that there is no evidence to support that protection is stifling creative growth.

Any one is free to create anything they like; they just have to do it with their own money and with little hope of financial gain.
Artists do that all the time.

Last edited:

Damin

Local time
Today, 06:20
I ever copyright my all creations .The one more benefits of acquiring this service is that you can sell your work but preserve the ethical rights.And the process also doesn't take much time , just few clicks could protect our creations from being infringe by others. In today, life every one wants to earn money without doing any effort due to that content scrapping is increasing day by day.

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 07:20
From my point of view, this is a very complex issue. It is very difficult for a small or medium business to enforce. There is also the "consistency" of how the IP is managed. For example, you let your friends use it differently than you want it to be enforced over your non-friends. All of this and much more comes into play.

My company has employed patent and copyright lawyers for software included embedded software (on a circuit card) that communicates to external PC custom applications.
Over the years, I have attended many hours of continuing education on the subjects of copyright, patent, and licensing.
When I worked for the government, I had the role of tech advise with the AG office. For example: Some contractor licensed software and put copyright on the SQL statements they used for pulling data from a government open-source database.
Imagine, the government published a database and someone copyrights a "Select * from <tablename>. B.T.W. I claim all copy right on the Select statements for the Northwind Database tables! LOL

Then you get into the whole enforceability question. In theory, if you had someone that you vaguely suspected of representing you in any way, reusing or installing your IP as part of a paid assignment... did you equally apply your enforcement or licensing for your IP?

From my humble opinion, you only have what you can afford to enforce. Make a mistake in trying to enforce and it might be possible to receive a counter suit for slander or worse. It is also my opinion from direct experience is that organizations such as BSA (remember Bust Your Boss for not paying MS Office license?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Software_Alliance
is only for the large companies for specific products.

Everyone should copyright .... well .. everything.
This Statement is Copyrighted 2012 and may not be reproduced or re-used with out expressed written consent.

By the way, the courts recently ruled that photos posted on the cloud belong to the company and that they can be re-sold. So much for the secret photos I kept securely on the cloud hoping the National Enquirer would pay me millions for...

wmphoto

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:20
I the UK all that is necessary is to include a statement like

Copyright © CentreCode Ltd 2010

in a clearly visible place. There is no government registry for copyrights. For physical inventions you can take out a patent with the Patent Office if your invention is genuinely new.

Actually in the UK you don't even have to do that. If you create something you don't have to copyright it, it just is copyrighted.

However I think you'll find a database or something else that is more a solution to a problem than an artistic work must be patented rather than copyrighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom