DB Software (1 Viewer)

GoodLife22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:51
I am getting ready to make a brand new DB in access that will be a big task. I am pretty new to DBS in general. I am looking for some type of software which will assist in the design and development part of the task. Has anyone used any 3rd party tools which work well for the initial DB design? Maybe something which allows me to build the tables & relationships layout first easily?

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Today, 02:51
I am getting ready to make a brand new DB in access that will be a big task. I am pretty new to DBS in general. I am looking for some type of software which will assist in the design and development part of the task. Has anyone used any 3rd party tools which work well for the initial DB design? Maybe something which allows me to build the tables & relationships layout first easily?

Sure! It is called Access 2010 (or 2007 or earlier versions). The Wizards will help you. But first you need to learn a bit about db design. No software will do that for you. Just look up tutorials on Google.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
If you have Visio, you can design your data structure there.

GoodLife22

Registered User.
Local time
I think we do have a copy of visio somewhere. I will play with that. Thank you.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:51
The point of the application is the business requirement.

What is worse? A application that is untidy but satisfies the business requirement or something that is pretty and doesn't work [the polite version].

Yes, data structures are important (don't laugh Bob) but they should be addressed after you have a firm idea of scope of the project. Don't rush to the data structure as the carpenter will tell you 'measure twice cut once'.

Simon

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yes, data structures are important (don't laugh Bob) but they should be addressed after you have a firm idea of scope of the project. Don't rush to the data structure as the carpenter will tell you 'measure twice cut once'.
I agree - very, very true.

GoodLife22

Registered User.
Local time
I understand all of the principals and what needs to be done. My new DB will have about 10-12 tables. I am looking for some software which will help me pre-design if you would my tables and relationships. Once I have a full layout and everything looks great I just hit a button and it creates the entire DB with the table structure, relationships, connections, ect.

At first I wanted to get some very basic flowchart software to show management the possible table layout and fields which would be in each. Then I thought there had to be some type of software that allows you to design those same type of structures that would allow you to some how publish them to a database when you are finished.

Demetious

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:51
This is just a recommendation from someone who is new to DB design as you are. If you are putting the DB together, it is going to be up to you more than likely to maintain it. If you go through a 3rd party app to design it, you learn nothing and maintaining it will be that much tougher. I took an MS Access 2003 class when I was in college but I have forgotten much of that now. These forums are amazing to help you learn and everyone here seems to have more patience than I could ever dream of. What I am saying is, if you learn, you will know how to troubleshoot it which is invaluable. Start off simple, maybe two or three tables, and build from there. Then you will learn as you go. Also, ask questions, I may learn some new things because of your questions. Hope this helps =)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
My opinion is that you need to design the structure BEFORE designing the tables. I know that sounds strange possibly but you have to work through what you are going to need to store and take a look at potential items that might be needed later. Once you have all of the requirements and have created your logical design then you can start doing your physical design.

GoodLife22

Registered User.
Local time
I understand all of that. I know the overall design in my mind and on paper. I may not be clear in what I am asking. I think Visio will do what i need.

I know how I want it designed. I just need a nice clean software program to assist with the table/relationship design process.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I just need a nice clean software program to assist with the table/relationship design process.
I think you will still have to create the actual database tables/relationships by hand, but having a Visio diagram could help make that shorter as you can refer to it without having to think too hard as you can set the relationships and the field datatypes and all within Visio.

GoodLife22

Registered User.
Local time
I purchased Visio and so far I am really liking it. Very easy to use and it looks like it will do exactly what I wanted with the design layout of my tables and relationships.

I do have one question: After I build the database layout with my tables and relationships in visio can I click a button to actually create a new database with the designed plan?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
After I build the database layout with my tables and relationships in visio can I click a button to actually create a new database with the designed plan?

No, you still have to manually build it. But having the information right there in your diagram can help speed the process.

GoodLife22

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds good. I was hoping there was a built in utility, but no big deal. THANK YOU for the answer.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:51
note that having a structure isnt the same thing as building the database

a lot of code you write is generally defensive, to steer the users in a particular direction, and to manage constraints that arent possible to design into a table

I dont know visio, but I an not sure how far it can take you in this direction.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I dont know visio, but I an not sure how far it can take you in this direction.
You can design your table structure in it (including all fields, indexes, constraints, etc.) and then you can also design your program flow which then helps with form and report design (of which there are many instances where VBA would probably be needed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom