Question Employee Database/Managers and departments (1 Viewer)

sladetroityer

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:56
I am using Access 2010. I have created an employee database.
Here are my tables;
tblEmployees
tblDepartments
tblTitles
tblManagers

I want to make some employees managers and assign multiple departments to them through a form. Within this form I'll need to be able to see ALL assigned departments and also be able to add or delete departments as they are moving targets.

I created a junction table called tblManagers and I added a field in the employee table that is YES or NO for manager's.

What is the best way to manage the manager's table?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 22:56
I've got a good idea of what data is in all your tables except you've confused me with tblManagers. What data does this hold? How do you intend to use it?

Can a department have multiple managers or only one at a time? If its only one, then you should put a field in tblDepartments that holds the employee ID of the manager. If its multiple, then I would create a table called DepartmentManagers which would have just two fields--employee ID and Department ID. This table would link managers to departments.

sladetroityer

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:56
For all intense purposes any one department only has one manager. My issues seems to be getting the employee ID into the department table and should I be using a Autonumber instead of the persons CID as the primary key of the employee table?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom