My database - normal forms 1-3 (1 Viewer)

pomocnik89

Local time
Yesterday, 23:41
Hello everybody,

I made this simple database and I would like to know if it follows the 1 -3 normal forms??? What do you mean, is it a correct structure that I made?

Thanks, for opinions.

DTB.jpg

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:41
Not quite.
  • State belongs in the customer table.
  • You also have some naming issues. Typically the FK uses the same name as the PK. Some people suffix it with FK but you would never use the name of a data field as you did with product.
  • Names such as "Name" and Date will be a problem once you try to use VBA, and possibly even with queries since Name is a property of most objects and Date is a function. There are many posts here on naming conventions, why you should use them, and the best way to avoid running afoul of reserved words (like name,date,month, desc, etc.)
Now we get to business rules.
  • If you have to ship an order, it is common to store a shipping address with the order which may or may not be the same as the address in the customer record which is the billing address.
  • Orders are rarely a single item. Standard schemas have an Order table and an OrderDetails table. The Details contains the product, quantity, unit price. The Order table contains the CustomerID, OrderDate, ShipTo address, SalesRep.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 16:41
Instead of Street, have two Fields.

Address1
Address2

City could be Placed into a separate Table that contains City, State and Zip.

A Customer is likely to have more Than One Email and More than One Phone. New Tables are required for each.

Rename your tables by prefixing them with tbl eg tblCustomers. (They are usually Plural in name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom