Suggestions please (1 Viewer)

alexgore

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:13
Hi

I'm setting up a database for a watch repairing company.

On the current system as each watch is booked in, it is given a number (currently at 47,500). It has been requested that when my new database goes live that I continue on with this number.

It would make sense for the primary key in my new database to be this number as will be the only unique information on each record.

However everywhere I've read, it's not recommended to start an autonumber at anything other than 1. If I had this number set up as a 'number' though, it would mean that it would have to be entered manually which I'm trying to avoid!

I hope this makes sense and look forward to receiving any suggestions.

Thanks, Alex :)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:13
AutoNumber should be used as you Primary key and it should never be seen by an end user.

What you need for a numbering system is to use DMax which will find the highest number, then you add 1 to increase.

Search DMax Plus 1

alexgore

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:13
Dear Rain

Thanks for your quick reply. I've had a search and found the programme you have written.
I'm new to access so would you mind pointing me in the right direction as to how I add this to my database?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Alex

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:13
You must learn some basics first.

Do a Google search on "Access Tutorals"

There is a lot of information out there. You need to learn some of it before continuing.

This is not as easy as Excel or similar programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom