Cyberbullying VS Light-Hearted Prank (1 Viewer)

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:13
This has nothing to do with a teenager. Why bring it up.
Because it's the sort of things that teenagers might do ... prank calling.

One thing that does offend me is that the English Tabloids are condemning this. Talk about the Kettle calling the Tea Pot Black.

I can't help but wonder if the nurse would still be alive if the British media, including the tabloids, hadn't blown this into such a big story to start with.

I expect the media started this with the intention of just making the Australian DJs look bad.

What has actually happened is that a nurse seems to have been driven to the point of taking her own life (if it was suicide and not a stress induced heart attack or something medical) and the pitchfork wielders are out for the radio DJs blood as well.

Meanwhile the two presenters have been taken to an unknown location under 24 hour watch. They also have no access to news of any sort. Apparently they are overcome by their actions and subsequent events.

Oh. Are they worried that the amount / sort of media coverage might drive them to suicide?

Last edited:

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:13
Oh. Are they worried that the amount / sort of media coverage might drive them to suicide?

Apparently they are very upset over the matter. They are receiving counselling and being shielded as much as possible from attention.

I think I would be a mess if I did something like this. Let alone having to put up with world attention.

Just after the prank they were saying that they were not even prepared to ask questions because they did not think for one minute that they would get past reception.

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
... And I would ask ...

If the nurse had been shielded from media attention in a similar fashion I wonder if she would still be alive?

If, on the balance of probability, the answer was yes then the DJs should not be held accountable for her death by the public.

RainLover

Local time
If, on the balance of probability, the answer was yes then the DJs should not be held accountable for her death by the public.

Not for her death, no.

But this is a common thing to put someone down for a few cheap thrills. Sure we all laugh because these are usually funny and no one gets hurt.

It just appears that to make it in the FM world you have to offend others etc. Shock Jocks as they call them.

Some how a line needs to be drawn in the sand.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
My newspaper this morning states
"under Australian law it is illegal to record someone or publish a taped conversation without the person's permission."

So it would appear that somebody is in trouble, quite rightly so.

Brian

RainLover

Local time
My newspaper this morning states
"under Australian law it is illegal to record someone or publish a taped conversation without the person's permission."

So it would appear that somebody is in trouble, quite rightly so.

Brian
That is correct.

I said that back in post number 18. This law includes eveyone. Including companies that record for training purpposes.

It is not restricted to the media.

nical

Banned
Local time
Today, 13:13
Hi all,
Creepypasta is a type of internet meme, an evil and scary form of the more lighthearted "Copypasta" genre, which consists of witty, humorous or amusingly stupid pieces of text, such as a joke or anecdote, that are copied and pasted on various places of online discussion.
The Creepypasta, on the other hand, consists of freakish, horrifying and mysterious stories and urban legends which are spread over the internet in the same fashion.
An example of a common type of Creepypasta is the "Lost Episode" variety, which describes an unknown episode of a popular childrens' show such as SpongeBob Squarepants (See: Squidward's Suicide) that only aired once and was supposedly seen by the author of the anecdote, which in the first place contained mature/mean-spirited content that would never be allowed on such a show, as well as the characters behaving strangely and other usual elements being out of the ordinary, usually leading up to some horrific event in the show such as a violent death (Dead Bart), after which the episode degenerates into nightmarishly surreal and random material such as flashing disturbing images and going into static/lowering the image quality, as well as maintaining one unnerving image for an extended amount of time with no action, usually until the program ends and the TV returns to normal when the next show comes on.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You seemed to be hedging your bets in post 18 by saying "could be illegal" the paper said it was, but let's not get into an argument over this.

Your comment on my post in another thread suggests you may be a bit tired, given the time difference you are up late aren't you?:D

Brian

RainLover

Local time
Brian

The quote you posted AFAIK is correct but that is generic.

I posted what they did could be, because I don't have the full facts of what they did. So I was hedging my bet.

If there is a problem in the other post then let's keep it there rather than muddy the waters here by going off topic.

And come to think of it I am a little tired. It is not uncommon for me to be awake till 2 or 3 in the AM. It is only 11 PM now so I might have an early night thanks to you.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
It could prove interesting trying to make that stick.

Did either of the presenters actually dial the number?
Did either of the presenters actually record the conversation?
Did either of the presenters actually decide to transmit the recording?
Did either of the presenters actually transmit the recording?
Is it illegal to take part in a recorded telephone conversation without the other parties permission?

There might be a few engineers and producers in trouble. But then again being employees wouldn't it just be the radio station in strife?

You would make an excellent defense attorney. Come up with any conjecture to prevent the acknowledgement of one's own unworthy action.

An attorney's reasons are clear but I'm not sure what yours are. I suspect that you yourself have been duped by the media's demand that such behavior be acceptable. It isn't, despite your protestations and never will be as long as common decency prevails.

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
Common decency?

Sorry, this is the Worlds media we are talking about here. There are times I don't think they know the meaning of the word.

From ...

"Can you put me through to my Granddaughter, Kate", "Hang on, putting you through".

To

Worldwide headlines of "Royal security scare"

A while later they would probably have told where to go by a proper, non medical staff, telephone operator and we would more than likely have heard no more about it.

RainLover

Local time
dan-cat

I think you are being a little rough here.

Besides if charges were made the presenters would plead guilty and cop a small fine.

I don't believe that they would attempt to defend their actioms given their state of mind. That is if charges were made to beging with.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Look anywhere for the cause but our own actions, yes? <- yes, where the media is concerned.

You seem unable to grasp the basic sequence of events.

The Duchess of Cambridge was already a big story which is why she was selected for the "prank". Both the Radio DJ's and the radio station saw the opportunity to make a name for themselves and took it. They traded in their civility for the chance of fame and it paid off. This is what searching for a viral story is all about. That is why the radio station considered broadcasting the call and went ahead. It is the trading in of your own civility for the chance of celebrity.

Now if the two nurses had been hauled through a prolonged disciplinary action, which believe me, is what lay in store for them and took leave to recover from a stress related illness then both the DJ's and station would have been sitting pretty and they would have been feeling very pleased themselves.

But as what happens with severe stress, the effects on the individual varies considerably. On this occasion the effect was extreme and it blew up in their faces.

They are now being forced to confront the consequences of their unworthy actions because of the extremity of those consequences. People like you think differently but thankfully the law says otherwise so the cause of such an injustice is neither imposed on the vulnerable nor allowed to dissipate into the ether.

A final note, don't think for a second that they would have cared one jot if the consequences had been anything other than such bad publicity for themselves. Everything was going swimmingly until that nurse inconveniently killed herself.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
dan-cat

I think you are being a little rough here.

Perhaps

Besides if charges were made the presenters would plead guilty and cop a small fine.

Maybe

I don't believe that they would attempt to defend their actioms given their state of mind. That is if charges were made to beging with.

They have to live with the fact that this would never have happened without their unworthy actions. I doubt they'll ever do such a foolish thing again. I hope they'll be able to readjust their behavior accordingly and they themselves are not wrecked by the events they triggered.

Unfortunately our society is increasingly unable to acknowledge these things should not happen without experiencing the consequences of such thoughtless actions directly. Rather we prefer to be entertained. This is really the target of my frustration.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps hospitals everywhere should review their privacy procedures.

Who has not rung a hospital and asked about someone without proving their identity and authority to access information about a patient?

It is just in this case that the patient was a celebrity.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 16:13
This has now been brought to the Attention of the Australian Police by the English Police. I think this is a formal thing to do with international rules/agreements.

Meanwhile the two presenters have been taken to an unknown location under 24 hour watch. They also have no access to news of any sort. Apparently they are overcome by their actions and subsequent events.
The Radio station they work for has ceased all advertisements due to some sponsor's withdrawals and other reasons.

The actions of the Presenters could be illegal as it is a requirement that before recording and or transmitting a telephone call all parties must be made aware and permission given.

Good; time to pay the piper for being a pig's behind. Incivility should not be tolerated, let alone, encouraged in modern society.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Not for her death, no.

But this is a common thing to put someone down for a few cheap thrills. Sure we all laugh because these are usually funny and no one gets hurt.

It just appears that to make it in the FM world you have to offend others etc. Shock Jocks as they call them.

Some how a line needs to be drawn in the sand.

I don't laugh. I find it reprehensible. This to me is a serious indicator of the decline in our society.

We need simple kindness and respect. You know, the things we were taught in Kindergarten.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Also would not be the first time radio personel have rung someone, misrepresented themselves, and illegally broadcast the call without permission or warning. I expect this will be the end of that practice.

When I was young (1960s and 70s) all radio interviews by telephone included an audible marker (about every fifteen seconds if I remember correctly) to indicate the call was being recorded. This was a legal requirement for all recorded telephone calls.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Perhaps hospitals everywhere should review their privacy procedures.

Who has not rung a hospital and asked about someone without proving their identity and authority to access information about a patient?

It is just in this case that the patient was a celebrity.

Way off the path. An indicator of societies in decline is incivility, and the loss of respect for life.

We have a long way to go to create better lives for our people, and every vector matters.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Also would not be the first time radio personel have rung someone, misrepresented themselves, and illegally broadcast the call without permission or warning. I expect this will be the end of that practice.

When I was young (1960s and 70s) all radio interviews by telephone included an audible marker (about every fifteen seconds if I remember correctly) to indicate the call was being recorded. This was a legal requirement for all recorded telephone calls.

Damn, you are an old guy. I was born in 1960.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom