Cyberbullying VS Light-Hearted Prank (1 Viewer)

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 18:25
Thales750
You are just a pup. 1960 was just a little time ago.

Galaxiom.
I remember those beeps. I even remember when prior to that it was illegal to transmit a phone call. Hence there was no talk back radio.

Then there was the time that to be a presenter you wore a dinner suit while on air. Especially on the ABC or BBC England.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I remember those beeps. I even remember when prior to that it was illegal to transmit a phone call. Hence there was no talk back radio.

The phone system was kept apart from everything else. You used the handset that came from the PMG and anything else was illegal.

Remember the first modems. They had a speaker which acoustically coupled to the phones mouthpiece and a microphone to the earpiece. Transmission speed was 75 bits per second.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A friend of mine worked for the PMG when radio phone in competitions first started. First they knew there was an explosion in the switching gear as the bars collided and jammed.

He reconned there were springs and cogs all over the floor. In fact the normal procedure for fault location was to get down on the floor and scan for parts that had fallen out.

RainLover

Local time
Galaxion

You win. You must be the oldest. Around 75 at a guess. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No. I am only 53.

The PMG (Post Master General) handled the phones until 1975 when Telecom took it over. Phones and exchanges were still old tech for a surprisingly long time.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 04:25
Is there anyone who has already posted that has never pull a prank?

RainLover

Local time
Age really isn't that important. It really doesn't matter who the oldest is. Does it.

I think were are getting a bit off topic.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:25
Beyond all the trite, coached, blame shifting rhetoric, this part speaks volumes.

"We couldn't believe that it had worked, absolutely. You didn't expect it to. We thought 100 people before us would've tried the same thing. We just did not see that actually working."

They knew they were a part of a big "pain in the ass" mechanism that goes out of it's way to aggravate and hassle for publicity. They knew that the hospital would have had to have fielded countless other calls from equally "pain in the ass" people such as themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing and what they were a part of.

You don't equate a hospital being bombarded with a hundred other prank calls as "harmless" unless you're trying to protect yourself. They have inadvertently admitted knowing the stress they cause from such actions before undertaking it. The rest of it was trite damage limitation rhetoric prepared by lawyers.

Adam Caramon

Local time
To me this situation is a combination of the worship of the British Royal Family and a woman who likely had some sort of psychiatric issues.

I'm not seeing how what these DJ's did was so bad. They were pulling a prank, and in most hospitals, they wouldn't have got anywhere near the duchess. So who is at fault? The hospital is at fault for not educating its personnel properly.

I imagine the nurse's managers gave her a very rough time due to the incredible embarrassment that likely fell upon them (increased 5 fold because the target was royalty and that is important to some people).

I feel bad for the woman that committed suicide, and her family and friends as well, but that was her choice. She decided that the embarrassment/shame was more than she could handle and chose to take an "out". This was not a child, not a teenager, but an adult. Adults are responsible for their own behavior.

We've all been in those situations where you wish you could disappear, or turn back time, etc. Its part of adult life. But most people don't choose to kill themselves.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Beyond all the trite, coached, blame shifting rhetoric, this part speaks volumes.

"We couldn't believe that it had worked, absolutely. You didn't expect it to. We thought 100 people before us would've tried the same thing. We just did not see that actually working."

They knew they were a part of a big "pain in the ass" mechanism that goes out of it's way to aggravate and hassle for publicity. They knew that the hospital would have had to have fielded countless other calls from equally "pain in the ass" people such as themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing and what they were a part of.

You don't equate a hospital being bombarded with a hundred other prank calls as "harmless" unless you're trying to protect yourself. They have inadvertently admitted knowing the stress they cause from such actions before undertaking it. The rest of it was trite damage limitation rhetoric prepared by lawyers.
did you ever pull a prank on antbody?

RainLover

Local time
To me this situation is a combination of the worship of the British Royal Family and a woman who likely had some sort of psychiatric issues.

I'm not seeing how what these DJ's did was so bad. They were pulling a prank, and in most hospitals, they wouldn't have got anywhere near the duchess. So who is at fault? The hospital is at fault for not educating its personnel properly.

I imagine the nurse's managers gave her a very rough time due to the incredible embarrassment that likely fell upon them (increased 5 fold because the target was royalty and that is important to some people).

I feel bad for the woman that committed suicide, and her family and friends as well, but that was her choice. She decided that the embarrassment/shame was more than she could handle and chose to take an "out". This was not a child, not a teenager, but an adult. Adults are responsible for their own behavior.

We've all been in those situations where you wish you could disappear, or turn back time, etc. Its part of adult life. But most people don't choose to kill themselves.

Adam

For a few years now Australia has made a commitment to educate people about Mental Health. It is much better understood by the average person but we still have a long way to go.

Depression is a terrible disease which is made much harder for the suffers by people like yourself who don't understand the full extent of the disease.
One Day depression will affect most of us. If not personally but through knowing a sufferer. It would be nice if you spent some time to gain a better understanding. It will help you and could help someone close to you.

It is clear that Australian Laws were broken however I doubt if anything will happen.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
did you ever pull a prank on antbody?

Yes and I was quickly taught the error of my ways by nearly being choked out.

I was forced to accept both the responsibility of my own actions and the emotional cost to the recipient of the prank. I believe that choke hold made me a better person.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
It's interesting that many intelligent people on this thread do not agree with a basic principle of law.

It would be interesting to discuss whether the "eggshell skull" rule is outdated but perhaps not within the bounds of this thread.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick,
You asked a question that appears to go nowhere.

Did you want to make a special point.

Yes, nobody has come up and said they have never pulled a prank on someone, so I have to assume everybody has. That would probably be the norm. That being the case then any of our pranks could have gone wrong. If nobody had died we probably would not even heard about it. Those that reverence the royal family would probably have still be offended, but not much would have happened. The rest would have thought it was pretty funny. Mental health is indeed a terrible thing, but to blame a death on a prank is pushing it some.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yes and I was quickly taught the error of my ways by nearly being choked out.

I was forced to accept both the responsibility of my own actions and the emotional cost to the recipient of the prank. I believe that choke hold made me a better person.

your right there, and I have paid and learnt from mine, but it seems some people never learn.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
It's interesting that many intelligent people on this thread do not agree with a basic principle of law.

It would be interesting to discuss whether the "eggshell skull" rule is outdated but perhaps not within the bounds of this thread.

I will have to claim ignorance. What is the "eggshell skull" rule?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
If nobody had died we probably would not even heard about it.

Yes absolutely. If the nurse had to undergo prolonged psychiatric treatment for a stress-related illness then who would have known? But the death has forced us all to consider the actual reality that there is usually always a penalty to such uncivil behavior regardless of whether it's newsworthy.

It's up to you whether you wish to learn this fact from this event but most, it seems, prefer to insulate themselves from that discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom