Doctor... WHO? (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 00:49
Any Whovians around here? I can't be the only one.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
Never watched it, but not for lack of interest. With 3 kids, I just don't get to watch TV much. Unless it's Dora, or My Little Pony. Lol...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:49
Watched it for years when it first started but cant be doing with the modern short stories.

Brian

Vassago

Local time
Watched it for years when it first started but cant be doing with the modern short stories.

Brian

I haven't gone back to the originals yet. I've been considering it.

Have you seen any of the newer ones at all?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Yes 1 or 2 and the start of some but the standard is not consistent so I gave up. I vaguely remember the Titanic one, what a load of rubbish. Of course this is only my opinion and I would not decry youngsters who like the current crop, they might say that the ones I grwe up with are dated.

For the record I did not rate Skyfall the new Bond film, maybe its an age thing. :D

Brian

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Yeah big Who fan...

Loved the originals and the new modern crop also....

Best doctor in my opinion is the great Tom Baker... loved his portrayal of the doctor, very excentric...

Best Assistant, I would have to say has been without a doubt K9, best companion would have to be Mary Jane Smith, who is sadly no longer with us... and well most sexiest assistant is a tie between Amy Pond, and Peri who started in the old crop of Doctor Whos and if memory Serves me right was companion to both Peter Davidson's Doctor and Colin Pertwee's Doctor, she was the doctors first American companion...

Yeah, ok .... I'm a geek....

Also love the original Star Trek series too.....

Vassago

Local time
Amy Pond, definitely one of my favorite companions. Rory wasn't bad either. I was sad to see them finally go, but knew it was only a matter of time.

David Tennant was my favorite doctor for sheer personality because I actually felt his feelings were more genuine. Matt Smith isn't bad though and reminds me of a smarter Jim Carrey. I haven't seen any of the older doctors, so don't have much to go by. lol

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I've known about the series for quite a while. I guess the issue for me has been access, as in the program not being carried by a cable station. I did have a period of watching activity when Rose was the principal companion.

The station that pretends to be the SciFi channel no longer seems to have anything worthwhile on it. That was were I was able to watch Dr. Who for a limited time. I don't know if you have noticed, but the SciFi forum has been "disappeared" from the main webpage. Indirectly assessable here. A lot of the posts have been highly critical concerning the quality and type of content. (There is still a Dr. Who subforum.) So I assume that Comcast is trying to slowly kill-off the forum so there won't be an outpouring of outrage.

While I'm at it, did you ever watch the Dresden Files? I found the series to be one of the best renditions of a world were magic was real. Hard to believe that was six years ago!!!

scott-atkinson

Local time
Never saw the Dresden Files, was this a US only series?

Can you watch it on any websites?

pwbrown

Registered User.
Local time
David Tennant has been by far the best! Him with Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) were unbeatable! Haven't watched it proper ever since.

scott-atkinson

Local time
You should check out the website,

www.couchtuner.com

It has whole series of shows on their for you to stream or download, I use it all the time. Watched the entires series of FRinge on their from Season 1 right up to the last episode on Season 5...

Check it out...

jefnelson

Registered User.
Local time
I've never watched an episode, but the intro music is pretty cool.

Vassago

Local time
Netflix has all of the newer doctors (post 2005) and some of the older doctor episodes.

Bway24

Registered User.
Local time
I stopped watching when they replaced the original doctor.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 22:49
Likewise, stopped watching it when Peter Cushing was replaced.
That was in 1963 and 1965 for you young ones. LOL
Pretty advanced story for back then. Atomic war, genetic engineering to survive, then loss of humanity that considered humans needed to be *exterminated*.

My hat is off to those who actually bought into that kind of advanced sci-fi.
Gene Roddenberry was on tour when I was at college. There were probably less than sixty of us showed up to see him. It was easy to be one of the ten who stayed afterwards to talk with him one-on-one. In the US, he had a show with huge audience, but the lowest advertisement rate because his audience would not buy soap. Based on commercials aimed for a 8th grade education, they canceled it. In that regard, Dr. Who had a better venue to be successful. Don't have time to watch it, but glad to see that it still exist. And... with out a XBOX game no less.

Vassago

Local time
Likewise, stopped watching it when Peter Cushing was replaced.
That was in 1963 and 1965 for you young ones. LOL
Pretty advanced story for back then. Atomic war, genetic engineering to survive, then loss of humanity that considered humans needed to be *exterminated*.

My hat is off to those who actually bought into that kind of advanced sci-fi.
Gene Roddenberry was on tour when I was at college. There were probably less than sixty of us showed up to see him. It was easy to be one of the ten who stayed afterwards to talk with him one-on-one. In the US, he had a show with huge audience, but the lowest advertisement rate because his audience would not buy soap. Based on commercials aimed for a 8th grade education, they canceled it. In that regard, Dr. Who had a better venue to be successful. Don't have time to watch it, but glad to see that it still exist. And... with out a XBOX game no less.

Peter Cushing isn't/wasn't even considered a real doctor. The original first doctor was William Hartnell. Peter Cushing played him in some theatrical remakes of some of the early stories, but he's not even considered part of the true Doctor Who storyline arc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_(Dalek_films)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom