Unable to navigate between records, custom save button doesn't save (1 Viewer)

Emjay

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:16
Hi All,

I've been working on a database for work for the last few weeks and this forum has been a Godsend many times over, but now I have a problem that I can't find any reference to.

Using Access 2003, I have a form that uses 3 cascading combo boxes in the header to find a unique record, and a command button that brings up the rest of the record into unbound fields in the body of the form.

It works fine for finding records, but whenever I enter/change data on it, the record doesn't save. The navigation buttons at the bottom don't work - the Next/Previous record buttons are disabled, and the First/Last Record buttons do nothing.
Navigation buttons are enabled/activated in the properties.

I tried getting around this by creating a Save Record command button - first using the wizard, then using VBA code DoCmd.RunCommand acSaveRecord as advised by [missinglinq;696351], but this still doesn't save the changes.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:16
I have a form that uses 3 cascading combo boxes in the header to find a unique record
If this record is UNIQUE, as you say then THIS record is the first one and the last one.
the Next/Previous record buttons are disabled
Of course, because not exist a previous record or a next record.
and the First/Last Record buttons do nothing
False: this buttons do what to have to do but, as I say, your current record, first record and last record is only one (the same).

Maybe I (we) can help you if you will upload the database.

Emjay

Local time
Thanks, Mihail. That reasoning as to why the navigation buttons don't work is pretty sound. I'm still stumped by the save not working.

The scenario is:
Units (Ships) are issued Trials in a 'Package', then the results are input at a later point. So a ship is assigned a trials package [from:input trial package], then trials that are in the master repository can be added to the package using [form:assign_trials_to_package].
[form:input_results] is used to look up an isssued trial and (hopefully) assign results. This should save the results into the same table as when they are assigned to a package (this allows us to see which units have incomplete trials). However this is the form that I can't get to save changes.

I apologise if I have not stuck to proper naming conventions throughout - I've had to remake objects several times so I am trying to get it to work properly before tidying it up.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• db2.zip
    169.3 KB · Views: 133

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:16
Emjay

Take a look at the attached db.
I have added some code to the save button which opens a recordset of table “Table_Assigned_Trials” where “EntryID = the text box called “txtEntryID”. The code checks for a value in “txtResults” and “txtDateConducted” and then sets the value of the three controls on the form in the appropriate fields.
I have also added some code to the form’s On Open event that sets the Enabled property of the form’s textboxes to “Enabled” = No. This is changed back to “Yes” in the code attached to the click event of the “cmdFindRecord” button.
HTH

Attachments

• db3.mdb
    520 KB · Views: 84

Emjay

Local time
Thanks, Bob, that's brilliant!
I was going to make the lower half of the form inactive and use an 'input results' command button to enable it, but I don't have to - your way is better.

Time to fill in the tables and crash test it now.

Thanks heaps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom