TransferSpreadsheet Woes (1 Viewer)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 00:49
Here's the situation:

I have set up a raw data table named "dbo_tblRawData". It has 26 fields (way more than the number of columns I'll ever have to import into this tool), all of which are 100-character text fields.

I am trying to use DoCmd.Transferspreadsheet to transfer a spreadsheet into this table. The spreadsheet has 15 columns. I'm using a defined range that pulls in everything except the header row.

Here's the catch: Column F (Maximum Fee) is a mixed-format column. 99% of the values are currency, but it also contains values of "M", which I process later. Every time I attempt to import it, I get a numeric field overflow, and I've narrowed down the culprit to the Max Fee column.

Permanent changes aren't allowed (the original data must be saved unchanged), but I have attempted converting the number formats for the entire spreadsheet to Text for the duration of the import, and encountered the same error. I've even tried loading a temporary copy that I had converted to text and saved, but encountered the same error.

I know that the overflow error happens when you attempt to load a text character into a numeric field, but this is a text field I'm trying to load data into.

My restriction here is that I have to load the spreadsheet as-is. (It's a health insurance fee schedule from my state's department of community health.) Any changes I make cannot be saved.

Here's the appropriate code snippet:

Code:
        'Assign SourceFile to the source being checked on this iteration of x.
        Select Case x
            Case 1
                Set SourceFile = DataImport.wb1
            Case 2
                Set SourceFile = DataImport.wb2
            Case 3
                Set SourceFile = DataImport.wb3
        End Select

'Determine the number of rows that will be entered.
        NumberOfRows = SourceFile.Sheets(1).UsedRange.Rows.Count

'Make sure that dbo_tblRawData is empty.
        SQL = "DELETE * FROM dbo_tblRawData;"
        CurrentDb().Execute SQL, dbFailOnError

'Determine the range to be transferred.
        Range = DataImport.FirstDataRow & ":" & NumberOfRows

'Convert the used columns to text.
        SourceFile.Sheets(1).Range(Range).NumberFormat = "Text"

'Transfer the data from the current source to dbo_tblRawData
        DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "dbo_tblRawData", _
                                  SourceFile.Path & "\" & SourceFile.Name, False, Range

DataImport is a custom class that basically stores a ton of metadata I need for the full process. The function works just fine as long as there is no text in the Fee column. :banghead:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work around this? I'll make the code build a custom table if I have to, but I *REALLY* don't like that idea.

Isskint

Slowly Developing
Local time
Today, 05:49
Have you tried setting the format of column F to Text? I have recently done this in similar scenario where a reference ID was numbersEnumbers which Excel saw as Scientific Notation eg 123E5 and excel would convert to 12300000

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I converted the whole bloody spreadsheet to text in one attempt, actually, and still got the error. The method is treating that column like numbers regardless of setting because the first ten (105, actually) entries are all numeric.

On the way home from work, I had the brainstorm of importing the headers as data, however, which will force the data to be imported as text. Then I'll just find that record (should be the first one, but why take chances), delete it, and move on. I expect that should work.

However, that will have to wait until Monday.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Update: Importing the header names as data worked. Then I just did a search for one of the headers, deleted the corresponding record, and was good to go.

Annoying to have to do the extra step, but at least it's less than a second added to the processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom