Is love conditional (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 10:28
I have been thinking lately about “Love” because of this article about love by Doctor Laura Schlessinger where she claims love is conditional. (link) http://www.newsmax.com/DrLaura/love-mother-son/2014/06/05/id/575368/
As a biblical stand I am going to have a research it before I would take a position, so I welcome Christian’s opinion, and even non-Cristian. I am also interested to know is the word “love” in most atheist vocabulary, and if so where do they get the meaning of the word for there lives. Not just a dictionary definition.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:28
Why on Earth should love not be in the Atheist vocabulary, and could you please explain your meaning of love that is not similar to a dictionary definition.

Brian

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
There are many different forms of LOVE... for example..

I have Love for my ex wife as she is the mother of my children, I have love for my children, I have love for my girlfriend, and I have love for my Mother, Brothers, Sisters...etc...

They are all different variants of LOVE..

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:28
The bible speaks of three types of love. Basically erotic love (pretty self explanatory), brotherly love and agappi (sp?) love, or unconditional love. Then the Beatles say that all you need is love.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
What the heck is Agappi Love? And can I do it without getting arrested.. ;)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I love food and a good craft beer. :)

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 11:28
Why are you so focused on how religion affects people's way loving?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay, now I have read the article and I still don't get it...

The article refers to uncinditional love and a Mother who told her son she never wanted to communicate with him again. The Mother never once stated she did not love her son just that his behavior was so unacceptable that she could no longer *deal* with him as a person.

IMHO, I don't believe she stopped loving him... you can't turn that off like a faucet, especially when it's your child. But you can remove him from your *inner circle* of family and friends (and maybe say a little prayer if you go for that sort of thing).

So, to answer the question... Is love conditional? Depends on which love and, again IMHO, a Mommy NEVER stops loving her children and that is unconditional love. As for the rest of it... yep, IMHO it may be conditional, though I can't ever imagine stopping the love I have for my siblings, no matter what they do. I might choose to remove them from my inner circle but never would I stop loving them.

(Notice I said a MOMMY that is because not every woman with children is a MOMMY. And the bashing begins.... now!)

BlueIshDan

☠
Local time
Today, 11:28
To add to that, I watched a disturbing video of a young mother beating her infant child with a disgusting hateful look on her face.

I believe love can be described as dynamic for it depends on a human's nature.
(of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Overrated. Biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:28
FYI Agape Love is "Principal Love". There are 8 different kinds of Love.
True Love never fails. Putting that aside, it comes down to the persons morals,etc...
I did not look at the article.
Definition of Love:

Love is long suffering and kind.Love is not jealous,it does not brag,does not get puffed up.
It does not behave indecently,does not look for it's own interest,does not become provoked.
It does not keep account of the injury.It does not rejoice over unrighteousness,but rejoices with the truth.
It bears all things,believes all things,hopes all things, endures all things,Love does not fail.

GohDiamond

"Access- Imagineer that!"
Local time
Copy and Paste this SQL statement with the conditional argument into a query:

SELECT IIf([Suffering]="LONG" And [Jealous]="No" And [Bragging]="No" And [Puffed_up]="No" And [Behavior]="Decent" And [Self_Interest]="No" And [Provoked]="No" And [Injury_Accounts]="None" And [Unrighteousness]="No Rejoicing" And [Truth]="Rejoicing" And [Bears]="All things" And [Believes]="All things" And [Hopes]="All Things" And [Endures]="All Things" And [Fails]="Never","This is LOVE","This is NOT LOVE") AS [What is THIS?], "Long" AS Suffering, "No" AS Jealous, "No" AS Bragging, "No" AS Puffed_UP, "Decent" AS Behavior, "No" AS Self_Interest, "No" AS Provoked, "None" AS Injury_Accounts, "No Rejoicing" AS Unrighteousness, "Rejoicing" AS Truth, "All Things" AS Bears, "All Things" AS Believes, "All things" AS Hopes, "All things" AS Endures, "Never" AS Fails;

Cheers!
Goh

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Why are you so focused on how religion affects people's way loving?

My focus is on what I believe. A thread like this could certainly point out something that I have overlooked. It could point out if I had a prejudice. It could have a different spin on a verse that I am familur with. I never claim to be infallible. If you have read the link I sent with the original post it certainly opens up food for thought.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Why on Earth should love not be in the Atheist vocabulary, and could you please explain your meaning of love that is not similar to a dictionary definition.

Brian

Because Brain, the dictionary is words, but love is emotions. Check the other post on this thread, they are all over the place. I am not criticizing atheist, but my brain cannot fathom on what atheist base there emotions. I am here ever to learn. At 18 years old I was sure that an erection was love.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
FYI Agape Love is "Principal Love". There are 8 different kinds of Love.
True Love never fails. Putting that aside, it comes down to the persons morals,etc...
I did not look at the article.
Definition of Love:

Love is long suffering and kind.Love is not jealous,it does not brag,does not get puffed up.
It does not behave indecently,does not look for it's own interest,does not become provoked.
It does not keep account of the injury.It does not rejoice over unrighteousness,but rejoices with the truth.
It bears all things,believes all things,hopes all things, endures all things,Love does not fail.

I wish I could live up to all of it. Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom