Way to Turn Off Computer Programically After Shutdown? (1 Viewer)

llyal

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:54
Way to Turn Off Computer Programically After Shutdown?

Hi,

I have learned to shutdown Windows 2000 programically using the API ExitWindowsEx Lib, but the computer will not turn off; I get an "Ok to turn off computer" message box; How can I programically turn off the computer so the computer "fully" shuts down? Or does the Windows operating system prevent this?

Thank you!

--Llyal

Old Gnome

Registered User.
Local time
The ability to power down after Windows shuts down lies with the computer, not the operating system. For example, my laptop at work will power down when I request, but one of my desktops at home will not.

I'm not sure a BIOS update can take care of this, but if the computer is old enough, you may be stuck with hitting the big red switch.

oldgnome

llyal

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I agree; but here is the weirdness- with windows 2000, a user can manually shutdown the system and make the system turn off (if the computer hardware allows it); but the ExitWindowsEx API that can be used to programically shutdown windows, will not turn off the computer, even if the hardware allows it; it is like NT, where you get to a screen "Ok to turn off computer", but the computer remains on;

Either Microsoft created this limitation on purpose or I am doing something wrong; because a user "can" shutdown the computer completely, my current solution is to use automation to mimic what the user does (keypresses, mouse movements)- but i wish I could shudown the computer fully programically in a normal way;

--Llyal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom