Openning a Form from Another Form via Combo and auto loading the form data (1 Viewer)

thunderbird_ii_uk

Local time
Today, 13:26
Hi, Am new to Access and this forum so please be gentle!
I have been tasked with creating a tool to analyse mobile phone bill data and present the analysis, and our recommendation, to a customers. Being new to Access (other than basic tuition) this has been a slow uphill task, which thankfully is finally nearing completion, however there is a problem which I have not yet been able to overcome.

The requirement is for the DB to open first on a splash screen (lets call it Form A) with fancy picture where our customer is selected from a combo box, the customer is then telephoned, a linked computer screen is established and our staff then click "Go" to proceed to a second form (Form B) showing an account overview and more details.
The problem I have is when "Go" is clicked, the second form loads via on click event, and even populates the correct customer in its combo box. Unfortunately that is as far as it gets - the combo does not look up the information. The customer needs to be selected again for the subforms and subreports to load with the customer overview. To clarify, form B just sits there blank until the customer is re-selcted from the combo box in form B.
I have tried things like Events on load refresh, and scrutinised the Northwind database, but unfortunately have not been able to find a solution. Any hints or help gratefully appreciated! :banghead:

thunderbird_ii_uk

Local time
Hi PBaldy, and thank you for your reply. I believe I had in place a similar thing within macro builder, however I have removed that and tried your suggestion in the On Click Event within Code Builder. Unfortunately it left me with the same problem - within Form B the customer name sat in the Combo box which then had to be reselected in order to load the form. This leads me to believe the problem is somewhere within form B onload event, as Form A is passing on the customer correctly to Form B. Form B basically needs to be told "you have the customer, now load the form". ???

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:26
I think you'll need to post up the code you are currently using before we can assist any further, as we don't know which bit is failing. We'll need the code for the open form b button, and anything else you have on load etc. of form B that isn't functioning.

thunderbird_ii_uk

Local time
Hi Minty, Because my knowledge of VBA is not great I use the access Macro Builder. this forum appears to restrict images or web links (which are contained in the code!)

Would you know a way of converting to VBA so that I can post it?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:26
There is a method to convert macros to VBA code within access, it depends which version you are running as to how you get to it ?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Or you can attach the db itself, after compacting and zipping.

thunderbird_ii_uk

Local time
Hi,

Something strange happened today - I began the task of stripping out "real" data from the tables and replacing with a few lines of "dummy" data - as it probably is not a good idea to put private mobile information "out there" for anyone, not just yourselves, to download. Then with 3 dummy customers it began working correctly! Therefore I can replicate the process again in steps (I was working on a copy of course!) to see which table of data is causing the problem which I hope will then lead me to the solution.
I should have pointed out in the beginning this is a task given to me around other tasks so it may be a few days before I can perform this action.

I sincerely thank you both for all your help, and will update this post with either the answer or another question accordingly!

:)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You were certainly correct not to post personal info. Glad it's working correctly now, though it becomes one of those mysteries we wonder about. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom