Audits (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:07
Just delveing into teh world of audits - anyone got any advice of how they use them and there usefullness?

Reactions: Rx_

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:07
That is such an oversubscribed term.
I conduct them in the world of Regulatory Compliance. it is not the same as for example bookkeeping or inventory.
Transaction management for audits is another system commonly used.
Please do expand on your thoughts.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:07
That is such an oversubscribed term.
I conduct them in the world of Regulatory Compliance. it is not the same as for example bookkeeping or inventory.
Transaction management for audits is another system commonly used.
Please do expand on your thoughts.
I am talking of sql audit specifciations, what may be included in many basic generic specs, how is the audit then used.

I dont really have any thats the problem. I dont have a known need for them. What I'm asking for is a few basic sql audit specifications that may be applicable to most apps, that way I can see them in action and maybe then realise teh usefulness of some other things I could add?

THanks

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:07
Just did a quick google search of the subject. Microsoft supplies quite a bit of information about SQL audit specifications. Since I am not an DBA, I normally do not go digging through event logs very much (not that I would fully understand them anyhow).

GregoryWest

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:07
Audits are to Databases what Lot Traceability is to inventory control. They are nice, but you are best served by running away unless you have to implement. For Audits, the questions are still out there, what are you trying to audit? Is it just an update audit flow, or a read/write audit? Where are several ways in which to do this, triggers either in the database, or the access program. Both have their problems, database triggers will always create an audit entry, but for most access / web based programs the user accessing the database is a control user of the program, and not the user logged into the program. For an access/runtime audit, you can get the information about which user changed what, but you have to do all of this manually.

Goes back to, "Do you want to shoot yourself in the right foot, or shoot yourself in the left foot? Enough to say you WILL shoot yourself in a foot."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom