#Name error on form (1 Viewer)

Blueskies

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:02
Hi

I have an access front end with form with data linked to separate back end database. Both accdb format, Access 2013. Windows 10. 20k odd records on a single form, not continuous.

I have a group of 6 users reporting that they are getting #Name appearing in the fields as they work through the form (they each have their own copy of the front end database on their PCs).

This happens in the evenings (6-8pm) - it's not possible to fully test it during the day unfortunately as it involves evening phone calls. I thought it might be an issue with a backup process running at the same time?

I've tried doing a test with a fresh database this morning, same front-end/back-end setup, and then pulling out my network cable to simulate a momentary losss of data sourec connection, but I don't get the #Name error. I'm using Windows 7, so this could be a factor. Does Access cache updates in these circumstances for writing once the network is available again?

I don't think the data is corrupt because it's been reported the problem goes away on a reboot. Also, as part of the testing I converted this from mdb ro accdb format, which involved importing the data into a new database, which presumably would have fixed any corruption.

I've had a look at the data and it appears OK to me, so it seems to be a glitch of some sort, not 'permanent' damage to the data.

Can anyone suggest a reason for the #Name error to appear like this?

Thanks for any advice!

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
#name can happen,
it the textbox bound ?
to a field, or is a formula? ( =txtBox33/ 2.5)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Any loss of network connectivity will normally result in problems similar to those you are describing.

We connect to a SQL backend and if laptops are set to "sleep", when they are brought back on we always have to close and re-open the databases, as the network connection goes to sleep.

Are all the users on the local network, or is there some WAN access?

Blueskies

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for quick replies.

Text boxes are bound to the data source, there are no calculated fields.

The database is on a WAN. Connection via VPN.

Power settings on PCs are set to never sleep.

Blueskies

Registered User.
Local time
Oh dear.

From your link it sounds like an SQL backend might work better. I'll give that a try.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It may help a bit but I wouldn't bank on it. Really the only way forward is to use remote desktop / terminal services / Citrix style solution.

I can VPN connect into our databases on a 50mb fibre broadband connection and it's pretty stable. However other colleagues on slower or less stable connections have major issues. And I suspect less patience ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom