Site suggestions poll (1 Viewer)

Please vote for the site improvements that you most want

• Link with list of unanswered topics

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Update allowed file attachments to include docx, xlsx; zipx

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Automatically mark posts as CLOSED after 30 days inactivity

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Add option to save subscribed threads (CSV / TXT / XML)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Add warning before navigating to another page when writing a thread

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Add list of moderators to the site

• Add code button to the quick reply pane

• Make advanced post editor the default

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:16
You're welcome, but you can thank Colin (Ridders) for putting up the poll and getting this moving. I hope you find some of it useful.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:16
Thanks Colin and everyone who added suggestions!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:16
How about a new member who is forced to post nonsensical posts in order to raise their post counts. Lena01 seems to be doing it right now.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes I think you are right about that particular poster.
Moderators already have 'secret ways' of managing such individuals!

However there is no point in anyone doing that - they can upload zip files from post 1

BTW This poll has now closed 'officially'
Many of the ideas have now been added to the forum

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
How about a new member who is forced to post nonsensical posts in order to raise their post counts. Lena01 seems to be doing it right now.

Before I was a moderator I would have agreed with you. However now I get to moderate, I have to disagree with you. It is a very effective deterrent. The Forum gets very little spam from people joining for the purpose of spamming.

New posters and spammers both have to make 10 posts before they can post a link.

The other thing is, it's so rewarding! I just love watching the spammers come here and start posting their 10 nonsensical messages. I wait until they get to number 9 number 10, then number 11 with the spam in it! This confirms your suspicion they are a spammer. You delete everything they have spent the last couple of hours doing, A super effective deterrent, great fun for moderators with a vindictive streak such as myself...

Ask yourself how much Spam do you see on the forum? Rhetorical question, next to none. I see other forums just loaded with it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Tony

And I was trying to keep your secret ways secret...!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I want this site as friction free as possible.

That is a very succinct way of summing up why I am here.

I have tried other MS Access forums and some of the conditions imposed on you... well..

As for stack overflow I tried to get traction on there and actually deleted my account, well as far as I could. I had to reinstate it because it was the only place I could get useful information on Google apps script.

There's nothing out there like this forum for apps script and Python, not that I found yet anyway..

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That is a very succinct way of summing up why I am here.

I have tried other MS Access forums and some of the conditions imposed on you... well..

As for stack overflow I tried to get traction on there and actually deleted my account, well as far as I could. I had to reinstate it because it was the only place I could get useful information on Google apps script.

There's nothing out there like this forum for apps script and Python, not that I found yet anyway..

I agree totally.
I joined several other forums before this one but in different ways found all the others less than satisfactory.
The worst in my view is 'Experts Exchange' - see my comment in post #34

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:16
Colin, I have to agree about "Experts Exchange." I joined it for a problem related to Outlook on my home network. When I scanned some of the other posts, I saw some links by Pat Hartman, who is of course a long-time member here, so I thought it might be OK. I eventually solved the problem myself because their experts were not as helpful as I had hoped. No disrespect intended to any of them; it was just a problem requiring registry twiddling and they didn't appear to want to go there.

This forum continues to have what I consider to be the best group of contributors of the lot that I have seen out there. That is why I remain here even though retired. It keeps me mentally active and in communication, however tenuous, with highly technical people.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Apart from anything else, I doubt any other forum owner would have responded to the contents of a thread like this.

Another reason why my main activity is this site.
I still look at others but much less often

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom