Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:24
Only 50 something innocent people shot dead and over 500 wounded by yet another crazy gunman. Do Americans have tunnel vision about gun ownership and usage?

The BBC news website says gun sales have rocketed today following the massacre. How stupid is that?

The blinkered gun owners on this site will still justify gun ownership and non dangerous. What fools they are.

Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 01:24
Somehow, I knew you would be commenting on this today. Can't say I'm happy to be right, but I am going to enjoy where this thread goes!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 22:24
It was a horrible, horrible tragedy... Too bad we can't regulate guns as well as we do fertilizer, fuel, and rental vehicles. Think how hard this would be for a lone lunatic to pull off if guns were as restricted as the materials McVeigh used to created his rolling bomb!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The gun lovers on this site and the millions of other American gun lunatics who love to kill living things will never tolerate it.

Watching something die in agony is apparently very attractive to American gun owners.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Somehow, I knew you would be commenting on this today. Can't say I'm happy to be right, but I am going to enjoy where this thread goes!

Well, no-one else will bother, especially the yanks, it's just par for the course. So what if 58 people died, that's just bad luck. Wrong place wrong time.

Col

Mark_

Local time
Well, no-one else will bother, especially the yanks, it's just par for the course. So what if 58 people died, that's just bad luck. Wrong place wrong time.

Col

So use a model for gun control like Mexico? Rather than the permissive system found in Switzerland? Mexico has incredibly strict laws while Switzerland still has conscription and assault weapons kept in the home...

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Do Americans have tunnel vision about gun ownership and usage?
I don't think Americans have a say anymore. The US government has become a government of the money, by the money, for the money. The idea that the American people choose this is quaint. The money chooses this. There is profit in weapons, profit in health care, and profit in tragic news (Military-Industrial Complex, Big Pharma, Big Media). There is no profit in altering the conditions from which these events arise.

Domestic mass murder is not sufficiently financially harmful. Yes, the people suffer, but the rulers and the ruling forces--the money--are in fact enriched and empowered.

Mark

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Mexico’s gun laws are similar to those in countries like the United Kingdom that do not tolerate possession of certain lethal firearms. This is in stark contrast to the laws of the United States, whose constitution allows citizens to generally own and carry firearms on their person.

Yet, Mexico’s drug wars claimed 23,000 lives during 2016 — second only to Syria, where 50,000 people died as a result of the civil war.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
So use a model for gun control like Mexico? Rather than the permissive system found in Switzerland? Mexico has incredibly strict laws while Switzerland still has conscription and assault weapons kept in the home...

So it only took 5 posts for someone to say " this country does this" and "that country does that" so it's ok for yanks to have dozens of guns.

Must be some sort of record.

Americans worship 3 things - a) massive cars with V8 engines to take little Junior to school, b) money and c) guns that can kill living things and give the owner a sense of power.

What hopeless losers they really are, yet they can't see it......why?

Col

Mark_

Local time
So it only took 5 posts for someone to say " this country does this" and "that country does that" so it's ok for yanks to have dozens of guns.

Must be some sort of record.

Americans worship 3 things - a) massive cars with V8 engines to take little Junior to school, b) money and c) guns that can kill living things and give the owner a sense of power.

What hopeless losers they really are, yet they can't see it......why?

Col

Probably because culturally insensitive individuals try to stereotype others without a good grasp of their cultural norms?

Please note the irony of an individual who is not living in the United States posting on what should/should not be allowed in a country they do not reside in.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
America tried to take away booze a number of years ago. It didn't work. I think if they tried to take away guns, there would be a revolution.

I do not have anything against guns (just there a number of idiots that should not have them). But there is way too much gun violence in the US. I do not have an answer on how to fix the problem.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:24
I do not have anything against guns (just there a number of idiots that should not have them).

One of Trump's first actions as President was to remove the connection between federal mental health records and background checks on gun buyers which had prohibited those with mental health issues that would make gun ownership inappropriate from obtaining a gun.

Perhaps someone could explain why removing those controls made any sense at all.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Perhaps someone could explain why removing those controls made any sense at all.
Money. Read my post, above.

Remember the golden rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

Mark_

Local time
MarkK, should this be moved over to politics and current events?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Naa, I only move stuff if people ask Access.Report questions in the "Modules & VBA" section. This seems close enough.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:24

Col, when that answer came up, you AGAIN missed the point.

Mexico has very restrictive gun laws. Mexico has cartels that possess fully automatic weapons. Mexico's cartels not only kill their own cops, they come across the border and kill USA cops. Because they are criminals, the don't give a farthing about actual or proposed gun laws. You can argue until you are blue in the face and it won't change the hard fact that you just proved our point with a direct example: Strict gun laws DON'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. When a criminal decides he wants a gun, he's going to get one. PERIOD.

As a matter of fact, if we DID enact stricter gun laws, the odds are pretty good that the cartels that ship in all the drugs to the USA will add yet another item to their menu. "I'll take 20 kilos of crack cocaine, 100 kilos of marijuana, and an AK-47 fully automatic assault rifle."

You have plenty of room to talk. You know full well that people will do what they damned well please, other opinions be dashed. You have made no secret of your plans to end it all despite those of us who keep on telling you not to do it. But you're going to do that anyway. Does it actually surprise you that someone else might be just as bull-headed as you on some violent subject? Does it actually surprise you that someone will choose to do something illegal despite pressure from others to let it go?

Col, get straight and get straight NOW! We in the USA don't have a lock on people doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason. We, too, are PEOPLE. Good, bad, or indifferent, the folks in the USA are full-fledged members of the human race. Full of foibles, fantasies, and foolishness, just like everyone else who imagines that they might actually get away with something.

Sorry, but in the wake of the Las Vegas shooting, you touched the wrong nerve with your snide, supercilious, snarky comments.

I grieve for the victims. I have no sympathy for the now-dead shooter. I doubt we will get too many answers right away because the forensics guys have to decipher his electronics to see what his on-line history is like. So we can't expect answers too soon. I would love to have an end to gun violence. But I also know that it won't happen in my lifetime. I'd say "in your lifetime" but you have already stated plans that make me think I might outlive you.

Having blown off some steam, Col, I hope you are well tonight. I don't hate you. I just hate your attitude.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:24
Some of you need to learn what is needed for a Class 3 weapon in America.

As I posted on another thread a lot of you would like North Korea.....no private gun ownership......none at all, only the gov’t has guns.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Col, when that answer came up, you AGAIN missed the point.

Mexico has very restrictive gun laws. Mexico has cartels that possess fully automatic weapons. Mexico's cartels not only kill their own cops, they come across the border and kill USA cops. Because they are criminals, the don't give a farthing about actual or proposed gun laws. You can argue until you are blue in the face and it won't change the hard fact that you just proved our point with a direct example: Strict gun laws DON'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. When a criminal decides he wants a gun, he's going to get one. PERIOD.

As a matter of fact, if we DID enact stricter gun laws, the odds are pretty good that the cartels that ship in all the drugs to the USA will add yet another item to their menu. "I'll take 20 kilos of crack cocaine, 100 kilos of marijuana, and an AK-47 fully automatic assault rifle."

You have plenty of room to talk. You know full well that people will do what they damned well please, other opinions be dashed. You have made no secret of your plans to end it all despite those of us who keep on telling you not to do it. But you're going to do that anyway. Does it actually surprise you that someone else might be just as bull-headed as you on some violent subject? Does it actually surprise you that someone will choose to do something illegal despite pressure from others to let it go?

Col, get straight and get straight NOW! We in the USA don't have a lock on people doing the wrong thing for the wrong reason. We, too, are PEOPLE. Good, bad, or indifferent, the folks in the USA are full-fledged members of the human race. Full of foibles, fantasies, and foolishness, just like everyone else who imagines that they might actually get away with something.

Sorry, but in the wake of the Las Vegas shooting, you touched the wrong nerve with your snide, supercilious, snarky comments.

I grieve for the victims. I have no sympathy for the now-dead shooter. I doubt we will get too many answers right away because the forensics guys have to decipher his electronics to see what his on-line history is like. So we can't expect answers too soon. I would love to have an end to gun violence. But I also know that it won't happen in my lifetime. I'd say "in your lifetime" but you have already stated plans that make me think I might outlive you.

Having blown off some steam, Col, I hope you are well tonight. I don't hate you. I just hate your attitude.

Surely the wall would keep the criminal mexicans and their guns out? Most of the illegal guns in Mexico - come from the US?

Build the wall to protect the law abiding Mexicans from the criminal element - supplied indirectly by the US's crazy gun laws.

I do feel a little sorry for the gunman. Less so obvioulsy than the victims. He's been allowed by his countries laws to arm himself to do an evil act. He's clearly lost the plot to make such a choice. So too has the US to have laws which allow him to do so.

Seems he had semi automatics fitted with legal devices to effectively make them automatic.

But yes Mexico has problems!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
This highlights what I believe is where the 2nd Amendment is flawed, or at least it's current manifestation.

The Pro Gun lobby state that people with guns defend themselves. Apart from someone in the armed forces, why would you need a fully automatic weapon with mass killing potential, to "defend yourself".

I have not found one solid example of someone so armed "defending themselves...", intimidating others, killing others, pretending to be in the army, or plain gun mad yes.

By all means, if you are so inclined, get yourself a hand gun or even a manual shot gun to "defend yourself". No problem with that. Very difficult to kill dozens of people and injure 100's, with that type of weapon.

Just don't let anyone outside of the armed forces near a fully or even semi-automatic assault weapon. Totally unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom