Opening report based on current Order (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:46
@Minty
My minor modification was done in A2010 32 bit. What issue did you have opening it?
The OP's original zip file doesn't open correctly and my PC doesn't recognise your file as a valid zip - what did you use to open it ?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I opened his using Winzip but I can also open it direct from Windows Explorer by right clicking the file

Mine is in the newer zipx format which gives smaller files.
I did that to get it under 2MB without removing the rest of his db

To open a zipx file you theoretically need Winzip (or similar)
However, you can open it in Windows explorer by just renaming it as a zip file!
Stupid but true :)

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:46
I'm going to be blunt here and spot the elephant in the room, if you can't make a report show the desired results, you probably shouldn't be even considering thinking about trying to sell your databases.

Ouch. Point taken. Ok, our lecturers at South Regional TAFE were very good, but in terms of preparing us for the real world and the practice of database design as a paid freelance enterprise, they obviously omitted a few crucial points. Which you guys are pointing out to me now. I have to admit, it comes as a bit of a shock. We were assured that the databases we designed would be sufficient to prepare us for the real thing. But I deviated from the norm in that after my Certificate IV, I didn't go on to do Diploma.

No, I wanted to go straight into business. Hence my website, which I will probably end up showing some of you guys down the track.

Back to the problem at hand, this is a new challenge for me and I ask that you guys be patient with me as far as possible. I will keep reading what you guys post on here in the hope that I can put together a database that will work well for my first client. He would really be a "poor sucker" if, after all this talk and preparation, he missed out on what I KNOW I can deliver.

But the report just ain't working, unlike the entirety of the reports I have designed in the past. I could go ahead and give my client the databases as-is, but I feel that they need more work, and you guys clearly agree. So let's get stuck into it.

N.b. I missed the Certificate II where they were taught social media, and I am no heavyweight (or, "superstar") on any forum online except maybe NoFap, but that's a different story. I would really like to contribute to these forums insofar as I have the capacity to encourage and assist others, and I also intend to take away such advice as will make me a competent, better database designer. @ridders I have just read "How to respond to advice given in forums" and it makes sense, and as such, I think I can get on well here with all that in mind. Thankyou both, gentlemen.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ok, Minty and I have made our point....

But you do need to go back and look at the overall approach rather than just your report. Then you need to get and act upon user feedback before it goes live.

Just to say that I've been using Access for almost 20 years.
In my own little bubble as a sole developer, I can do certain things very well.

However, like most forum users, I certainly do not consider myself an Access expert. We're all still learning new things every day.
When that stops happening, it will be time to stop using Access

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:46
We're all still learning new things every day.
When that stops happening, it will be time to stop using Access

Great quote, totally agree.

I'm actually wanting to expand into LAMP and design database-driven websites at some (finite) point (in the future). There will come a day when I stop using Access, I'm pretty convinced of it. Maybe not for 20+ years, though. I'm 32, there's plenty of time to get all this done.

Did I mention that my client is not setting a deadline? I just feel sorry for him when I see him writing his orders down on paper, line by painstaking line, product and quantity by product and quantity.

I want to get this working for him, and I was wondering if there was something I could put in the report filter that would fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom