Mood swings (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:08
I am plotting a way to pit them against each other, Young Troll bs Old Troll. Pity he isn’t American; it would be too easy.
It has been a bit quite, not enough gun controversy (this month) I suppose.

Although we still have 512 dead from a truck bomb in Mogadishu, nobody seems interested in.

We'll just have to wait for the next gun issue in the states I guess.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
AccessBlaster,

Of course, that's because it doesn't matter how many are killed, maimed, or injured; unless it happens in the U.S. of A. no one in the MEDIA want's to chat about it, so no one on line seems to care.

Though if you want to bring up gun violence,
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...er-the-weekend-in-chicago-20171009-story.html

Please remember, Chicago does have gun regulations comparable to English laws. I've a feeling for the holidays I'll be sending family over there body armor...

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:08
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Some of you are trying to talk some humility into me, obviously. According to my philosophy, however, pride is a virtue, not a sin.

I bought a hat today, with a mesh fly-screen on it. Keeps the little buggers away. One might see this as a metaphor for emotional "screening" against ppl who piss me off.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:08
This thread inspires me to start a new one. Think I’ll call it “Retro-active abortion: A viable soultion or a draconian measure?”

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:08
THANK YOU, Gent. I thought I was the only person who ever used that phrase. Not that anyone here actually deserves it, but the phrase usually gets me charged with being very seriously politically incorrect. To which I am beginning to learn that when accused of being not PC, prove it by accusing the other person of using PC to stifle free speech.

Mark_

Local time
This thread inspires me to start a new one. Think I’ll call it “Retro-active abortion: A viable soultion or a draconian measure?”

Something to remember, in Italy retroactive abortions were legal up till the 360th trimester in the past, but only if performed by the father.

Have to love some of the laws under SPQR.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:08
It's a bit like a mandatory Darwin award...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:08
Yeah, PC isn’t usually an attribute I get saddled with, unless it means Pathetic & Childish...in that case I have been hit with it once or twice!

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Young Troll, you say? A pity I ain't American?

Silence! I'm a bully... I'm a BULLY! Still enraged about the LIES I was told about my database being "fixed" and the FLAMING I endured from Old Troll, who is a coward and a wanker!

Y'all haven't seen the last of me!

Mark_

Local time
Yeah, PC isn’t usually an attribute I get saddled with, unless it means Pathetic & Childish...in that case I have been hit with it once or twice!

Would that not be "Petulant and Childish"?

Though "Pristine Curmudgeon" may also be one to use... :D

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Geez, you guys are such nerds! You are incredibly nerdy, the whole lot of you.

I hate this place. Can I go now? ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A big tangent with multiple arcs. Wait... does that make it an ARCTANGENT? Oh damn, flashback to high school geometry!

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Trigonometry, I think you mean, Doc_Man. Arctangent is an inverse trigonometric function, and the Watercooler can't be one of those without defying the laws of nature.

Aha! It's a *magic* watercooler, like Dr. Who and his TARDIS! What a fascinating and surreal place to find myself in...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Tangent:

Its interesting how some people were thinking math, I was thinking more in terms of item 2.:D

(1) a straight line or plane that touches a curve or curved surface at a point, but if extended does not cross it at that point.

(2) a completely different line of thought or action: "he quickly went off on a tangent about wrestling"

(3) the trigonometric function that is equal to the ratio of the sides (other than the hypotenuse) opposite and adjacent to an angle in a right triangle.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Leo, in the USA, trig is part of the geometry class. As opposed to, say, algebra or calculus.

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
I see, that's interesting. I thought it was strange that you called it geometry. We just call it Maths (with the "s" at the end) in Australia, and geometry and trig are always two separate units, despite being related in terms of practical application.

I haven't had occasion to use much maths in my career. Perhaps that will change somewhat as I get deeper into VBA and coding in general, I guess it depends on what I'm coding, right?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To be honest, the only heavy-duty math I ever had to use with Access was statistical in nature, and SQL/VBA has a good stats math library set. For instance, if you are doing linear regressions there are ways to do almost all of the tedious stuff in a single query. I posted an article on it for this forum.

But only one other time in my career with the Navy did I ever have to use geometry. We had a requirement to approximate the distance a Naval Reservist would have to travel during mobilization, since we had the reservist's home address with ZIP (Postal) codes and we knew the ZIP code for the port of embarkation. We were only looking for VERY rough numbers, and it turns out our U.S. Postal Service had published a list of ZIP codes and the latitude & longitude of their mid-points. So with a little bit of Great Circle math we were able to determine rough zones (accurate to not better than about 50 miles) for the purpose of estimating travel mileage. And it WAS an estimate. We were usually within about 5%, which for budgetary exercises was considered very good. But that happened ONCE in 28 1/2 years, so ... not too much call for trigonometry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom