A 'Kiosk' Style Access App (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:04
Last year, in response to a user request, I created a kiosk style database intended for use with a barcode scanner and which can be 'locked'
The main purpose is to maintain focus on an Access form by preventing users moving outside the database 'window'.

I thought this might be of interest to some forum users as another example of making an Access app as secure as possible.
I'm posting it here to make it easier to find in the future

The app will work in both 32-bit & 64-bit Access.
If possible, please save it to a trusted location

The database has a form which runs floating on the Windows desktop with the following items all removed / hidden
- Access application window / title and menu bars / command buttons
- Navigation pane / ribbon
- Windows taskbar and desktop icons (all restored on closing the app)
I have shown how to do each of the above in other example databases posted in this area.

In addition, the vast majority of keyboard entries have been disabled (apart from some deliberate exceptions)

For the purposes of this demo ONLY, some aspects have deliberately not been locked down:
1. To close the app, click Ctrl+Q
2. To display the taskbar, press Ctrl+Shift+T
3. To re-enable the shift bypass key next time this is opened, press Ctrl+Shift+K, then enter the password (supplied on the form)
4. To view a separate Settings form, press Ctrl+S. Access MUST be Run As Administrator to do this
All of these shortcuts are included in the Autokeys macro

NOTE: This app has known limitations:
1. When you first open this after downloading, active content will be disabled and you will be able to see nav pane, title bar etc. After you enable content it will work as intended.
Better still run this from a trusted location as suggested above
2. Users can still use certain keyboard combinations such as Alt+Tab and the Windows key.
To disable these requires remapping the keyboard by making changes to the registry.
The zip file includes two Word documents explaining how this is done
IMPORTANT: The DEMO app does NOT makes any changes to the registry

In the final production version, the app would be installed using a self extracting EXE file and includes various changes including:
a) distributed as an ACCDE file
b) all keyboard shortcuts removed
c) when the app is run, it checks whether the keyboard has been disabled.
If not, it first remaps the keyboard to prevents all keyboard combinations which could be used to move outside the app, then the app quits
As the registry changes only apply after restarting Windows, this is done automatically then the kiosk app opens immediately after Windows loads
e) the app can only be closed using a button on the form. On closing, the app restarts Windows and restores the keyboard/taskbar etc

For obvious reasons, it is not appropriate to supply a version here that does all of this. If you choose to do so, the usual disclaimer applies that it is at your own risk

As this is in a moderated area, please send me a private message if you have any questions/comments or discover any issues not mentioned above
Feedback would be appreciated

Attachments

• LockDatabase.zip
    410.7 KB · Views: 1,713
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom