Using PHP Powered Website as Front-End? (1 Viewer)

lisarmj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:16
Hello!

Please be patient as I'm not sure the best way to phrase this question. My client has been using an Access database (split into FE and BE) for several years. The client now wants their own customers to submit data from a PHP powered website directly into the database. The client will be assigned a user name and password and validated upon sign-on.

1 - Can a website be used as a front-end? The dropdown down boxes will still need to be populated from existing tables and the new submission will need to be saved to the database.

2 - The backend is currently housed on the client's in-house server and will remain there.

3 - Can an OBDC connection string be used to link the website and backend together or is there a better method?

4 - Will an Access database be sufficient or does the whole thing need to be updated to SQL Server?

The long-term goal is that each client will have a portal where they can check on their job submissions, status, and run some reports of past jobs.

Any advice you all can offer would be appreciated. I can get back to the web-developers with specific questions.

Thank you!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:16
Hi. Once you start talking about web access, you really need to start leaving Access out of it. With a php web server, you’re better off using MySQL or SQL Server as the back end. However, once you have the new back end, you can still continue to use an Access front end. Don’t be confused though, I am talking about having two separate front ends here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom