Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Plaxerous
Newly Registered User

Plaxerous is on a distinguished road
Can I link photos stored on Office 365 (OneDrive, etc.) with an Access Database?

We have a database that generates reports with pictures that are pulled from a network drive. However, the pictures are not available if the user becomes disconnected from the network drive when working from home or traveling.

We recently integrated with Office 365 so is there anyway we could store the photos on SharePoint or OneDrive, and have the database pull from there? The easiest way from the user perspective would be to store the photos locally on their computer, and create a shareable link which can be copy/pasted into the database, but shareable links do not seem to be .jpg or image files.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Plaxerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Can I link photos stored on Office 365 (OneDrive, etc.) with an Access Database?

Hi. Welcome to AWF! Using SharePoint, maybe. Using OneDrive, probably not. Just my 2 cents...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
sonic8
Newly Registered User

sonic8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I link photos stored on Office 365 (OneDrive, etc.) with an Access Database?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaxerous View Post
We recently integrated with Office 365 so is there anyway we could store the photos on SharePoint or OneDrive, and have the database pull from there?
Access cannot display images from an HTTP address directly. You need to download the images to a local (temp-)folder first and then use the local path to the image in the report or form.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #4
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,463 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

I haven't tried it but if you can "see" OneDrive files via file manager, you should be able to "see" them from Access and therefore open them. But since I haven't tried it, sonicB might be correct. so just try it.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaxerous View Post
We have a database that generates reports with pictures that are pulled from a network drive. However, the pictures are not available if the user becomes disconnected from the network drive when working from home or traveling.

We recently integrated with Office 365 so is there anyway we could store the photos on SharePoint or OneDrive, and have the database pull from there? The easiest way from the user perspective would be to store the photos locally on their computer, and create a shareable link which can be copy/pasted into the database, but shareable links do not seem to be .jpg or image files.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
If your user is disconnected from the network how would you sign onto sharepoint? I doubt one drive or google drive would be easy to browse from access.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,508 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

OK, the question is "What protocol is being used?"

Whole file transfers can be managed by Server Message Block (SMB), File Transfer Protocol (FTP), and a couple of others, plus the secure versions thereof. I know you can also more or less reliably transfer a file as an attachment via SMTP and its variants.

If you can map the remote storage drive to a letter and then browse in a standard "Explorer" window, you are (probably) using SMB. In that case, there is a chance it could work. If you cannot map a drive then you almost certainly cannot do this.

There is a VERY serious (i.e. damned near FATAL) issue in using remotely linked back ends. Trying to get to something over an unsteady link or a non-SMB link will fail miserably and catastrophically for embedded (OLE) files and database .xDB or .xDE files because SMB just cannot handle bad network connectivity. However, I am not sure that the same error condition applies when talking about hyperlinked files. In that case, I don't believe that a database buffer is involved in a way that could lead to corruption if the network link breaks. You still would need robust error handling because you WILL occasionally get errors that could crash your app if you don't handle them correctly.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,746 Times in 2,505 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessBlaster View Post
If your user is disconnected from the network how would you sign onto sharepoint? I doubt one drive or google drive would be easy to browse from access.
Just for confirmation...Access can definitely browse files that are in OneDrive or Dropbox.
I don't have a Google Drive but I expect that would work as well if it appears in Explorer as both of the others do.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (63.8 KB, 159 views)

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
AccessBlaster (08-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 05:36 AM   #8
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic8 View Post
Access cannot display images from an HTTP address directly. You need to download the images to a local (temp-)folder first and then use the local path to the image in the report or form.
Hi Phillip
Actually that's not quite true
Whilst I often download images to a local folder before displaying, you can display images direct from their URL if you use the ActiveX Microsoft WebBrowser control.
For example, the screenshot below shows a form with the image I uploaded in my previous post:

I use this approach in various apps including embedding a 'live' route planner on an Access form:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WebImageAccessForm.jpg (94.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: png WebImageAccessForm2.PNG (67.2 KB, 119 views)

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 08-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

On a home pc, One Drive is a subfolder of the user profile. An image control will display an image with a path like C:\Users\Micron\OneDrive\Pictures...
Not sure where that leaves anyone in a corporate setting if One Drive is shared (which is an option) but if we're talking each person getting at their own images, then maybe possible. Agree though that it's simple enough to try rather than keep wondering if it's possible.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

All of these external apps are password protected, its just another road block to overcome for each user. But I guess its easy if you know how.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 AM   #11
sonic8
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Actually that's not quite true
Whilst I often download images to a local folder before displaying, you can display images direct from their URL if you use the ActiveX Microsoft WebBrowser control.
Well, whether it's true or not depends on how we interpret directly in my statement. - Sure, you can use the WebBrowser control to display arbitrary content from an HTTP URL. But...
While the WebBrowser control has been tigthly integrated into Access in recent years, I would still not consider it a fully native Access control.

Be that as it may, the original question was about displaying pictures in a report. - I had no luck so far using a WebBrowser control in a report, despite needing that functionality desperately. - If you show me how to do that, I'll buy you a beer. Actually, as much beer as you can (and want to) drink in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs
Just for confirmation...Access can definitely browse files that are in OneDrive or Dropbox.
That is actually a key factor I missed. It's probably the best solution to the question.
You can set up a document library on Sharepoint and sync the documents (pictures) to the local computes using OneDrive (for Business). Then you just link to the local files from the report.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:07 AM   #12
isladogs
Part time moderator

The Web browser is just about the only ActiveX control I ever use and it does work well on forms.

Thank you for your apparently generous offer but if I could get it to work, it would be worth free beer for a whole year...
I actually tried this a couple of years ago and like you I failed. In fact I posted a question about it at Tek-Tips where I found code that looked promising..
https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1779787
In the end I decided it was impossible and used a different method where I downloaded the Web image as a local file then used a standard image control.
The process is so fast there is no noticeable delay.

As for your other point, I've never had a reason to use SharePoint and somehow doubt I'll be trying it in the future

Website links:

Colin
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #13
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,508 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I have no direct experience in this, but an important point can be made regarding Colin's post #12 in which he first copies the image and then displays it.

To me, the underlying issue is what protocols are used to download the image for display. Access really wants to use SMB for things that will become part of its displayed area, whether on forms or reports.

Using an embedded ActiveX control is (apparently) still difficult, which is not surprising given how ActiveX controls have been the cause for so many headaches over the years. I can't recall how long ago that admonitions came out of MS HQ about ActiveX usage and how they were being downplayed.

Colin's suggestion that the process works better in two steps than in one makes sense in that using some COPY command, even within the WebBrowser conntrol, allows a simple file transfer using whatever file transfer protocol is convenient within said control (or using external methods!) Once the file is local, the display problem becomes trivial.

This is an example of "divide and conquer" which is an excellent strategy for solving knotty problems. If you can't solve the problem as-is, CHANGE it. Make it a soluble problem piecemeal if you can't do it wholesale.

I know this is an aside, but it was intended for a general audience. Colin, I know YOU understand because you and MajP have had exchanges regarding the intended audience recently.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #14
sonic8
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Thank you for your apparently generous offer but if I could get it to work, it would be worth free beer for a whole year...
Well, obviously I would need to establish your drinking capacity first, but this might be still within budget. ;-)

Quote:
In the end I decided it was impossible and used a different method where I downloaded the Web image as a local file then used a standard image control.
The process is so fast there is no noticeable delay.
Unfortunately, my requirement is not about displaying images but about displaying HTML that is beyond the capabilities of the standard Access Rich-/HTML-Textbox

Quote:
As for your other point, I've never had a reason to use SharePoint and somehow doubt I'll be trying it in the future
I wasn't suggesting you personally use Sharepoint, but rather the person asking the question and mentioning Sharepoint as a tool at her disposal.
Even though you can share OneDrive files and folders with other persons, it is rather a personal data store. Sharepoint, in contrast, is intended for teams/groups. So, it is probably the better choice for a whole department or company sharing the images used in the Access application.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #15
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic8 View Post
Unfortunately, my requirement is not about displaying images but about displaying HTML that is beyond the capabilities of the standard Access Rich-/HTML-Textbox
Can you supply an example just in case I can think of a possible solution?

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting you personally use Sharepoint, but rather the person asking the question and mentioning Sharepoint as a tool at her disposal.
Even though you can share OneDrive files and folders with other persons, it is rather a personal data store. Sharepoint, in contrast, is intended for teams/groups. So, it is probably the better choice for a whole department or company sharing the images used in the Access application.
Sorry. My response to that point was unintentionally rather brusque.

Website links:

Colin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: