Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:08
I can indeed drink tea with nothing, or at most with a little bit of sweetener. And if you have a sore throat, honey/lemon in your tea is a WONDERFUL remedy. The folks who would call me a poofter might find out the error of their ways. My wife would beat the hell out of them.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:08
When I was 16, I was an apprentice motor mechanic. One of my jobs was to make the tea for about 8 or 10 mechanics in a back street garage in Bristol, one job I had was the tea, I made tea that was, shall we say, a bit weak. As a result, I was stripped on the lower part of my body and Castrol grease was applied liberally to specific areas. I learnt that motor mechanics like tea they can stand the spoon up in.
Actually, I was glad they did it because it was tradition that an apprentice had an 'initiation' so that got it over with. They were a good bunch to work with.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's not quite the same, but with my time spent as a Navy contractor, I learned to appreciate the "Chief's coffee mess" tradition. Generally, the least senior of all the Chief Petty Officers is responsible for the coffee mess. And the tradition is that Navy coffee doubles as barnacle remover in a pinch. If you make a pot of weak coffee, someone usually suggests that the pot was just being cleaned, they weren't REALLY making coffee. It looked that weak because some of the fresher coffee stains were dissolving off the glass surface.

I didn't REALLY appreciate Navy coffee, though, until I went back to one of my mother's family reunions. In Alabama, you can pick up the traditional Bunn-o-matic glass coffee carafe of freshly-brewed coffee and hold it up to the light. You can see through it, and not just dimly. Yecchh!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:08
FB_IMG_1578817936136.jpg

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
If you make a pot of weak coffee, someone usually suggests that the pot was just being cleaned, they weren't REALLY making coffee. It looked that weak because some of the fresher coffee stains were dissolving off the glass surface.

In the UK we have a similar problem, and saying for weak Tea:-

"Water bewitched, tea begrudged"

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
And if you were to put too much milk in someone's tea, they were very likely to return it to you and ask you to take some of the milk out!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Though I actually HAVE had tea with milk in it, I have not had that for literally decades. My mother liked it that way, but when I started living on my own, I took my tea with a touch of sweetener and either nothing else or a spritz of lemon.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:08
I put creamer in my tea. In the rare event that I have tea. Imagine how badly I'd be beaten up in Colin's world! LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom