Function for auto dropdown for all combobox (1 Viewer)

calvinle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:37
Hi,

In a form, I have more than 20 combobox, and I would like to create a function so I on GotFocus, it will automatically dropdown that combobox.

Any idea how can I make it work instead of adding a code individually to each combobox?

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. You might be able to create a Class Module to automatically assign that behavior to all comboboxes on a form.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:37
Look at this article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/access.combobox.dropdown

In essence, use the .DropDown method of the combo box object, which you certainly could trigger on the GotFocus event. Not quite the same as what you requested, but it would be a one-line edit for each dropdown.

To make it totally automatic, you need to play with creating your own variant control class (i.e. some object-oriented programming.)

EDIT: theDBguy beat me to the OOP part.

nhorton79

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:37
You could do this on each Gotfocus event

Code:
Me.comboboxname.Dropdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calvinle

Registered User.
Local time
You could do this on each Gotfocus event

Code:
Me.comboboxname.Dropdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know but doing this I need to add the code to each individual combobox one at a time.

Thanks

calvinle

Registered User.
Local time
Look at this article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/access.combobox.dropdown

In essence, use the .DropDown method of the combo box object, which you certainly could trigger on the GotFocus event. Not quite the same as what you requested, but it would be a one-line edit for each dropdown.

To make it totally automatic, you need to play with creating your own variant control class (i.e. some object-oriented programming.)

EDIT: theDBguy beat me to the OOP part.

Thanks. I figure it out.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks. I figure it out.

Hi. Does that mean you have figured it out, or does it mean you are going to figure it out? If you have figured it out, you might consider sharing your solution with others. Just a thought...

calvinle

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Does that mean you have figured it out, or does it mean you are going to figure it out? If you have figured it out, you might consider sharing your solution with others. Just a thought...

Sure.

Basically, I created a Public Function, then I wud call that in the combobox GotFocus fire event.

Code:
Public Function ShowDropDown() As String
 Screen.ActiveControl.DropDown
End Function

I just select all the combobox, and in GotFocus, I call the function: =ShowDropDown()

Once the field has a focus, it will show the drop down.

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Sure.

Basically, I created a Public Function, then I wud call that in the combobox GotFocus fire event.

Code:
End Function

I just select all the combobox, and in GotFocus, I call the function: =ShowDropDown()

Thanks
Hi. Good job! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your project.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:37
How is that any different from calling the dropdown method directly from the gotfocus event?

I can understand it if there was a lot more going on in the function, but just as it is, I cannot see any benefit.?:confused:

Sure.

Code:
End Function

Thanks

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:37
Because in Design View he can select all 20 Comboboxes at once...go to the OnGotFocus Property...and enter =ShowDropDown() once...as opposed to having to create 20 events, one at a time...explicitly, naming each Combobox, i.e. Me.Combo1.Dropdown, Me.Combo2.Dropdown, Me.Combo3.Dropdown etc.

Linq ;0)>

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:37
Ah, OK, I *thought* that multi selection trick could still be done to enter the same code in multiple controls, not just with a function. :eek:

Because in Design View he can select all 20 Comboboxes at once...go to the OnGotFocus Property...and enter =ShowDropDown() once...as opposed to having to create 20 events, one at a time...explicitly, naming each Combobox, i.e. Me.Combo1.Dropdown, Me.Combo2.Dropdown, Me.Combo3.Dropdown etc.

Linq ;0)>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom