Reading threads on a mobile device (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 06:40
Does jon have the forum set up to accomodate mobile viewing? This is how small it appears to me on a standard screen android phone...

Is it my phone settings? Most other sites i visit are very readable....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-03-08-55-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-03-08-55-49.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 113

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:40
Sadly, this is a legitimate shortcoming with this site. It is not mobile responsive. Only newer versions of this software are mobile responsive. When the site was created, mobile internet was not even possible. I've checked the stats in the past and very few people use this site on their mobile. It could be because the site has a poor user experience on a mobile.

The risk to the site in upgrading to a newer version of the software is considerable and so I have taken the position of not upsetting the applecart. I've seen site upgrades on forums in the past and the outcome can be unpredictable.

Don't change what is working. I seem to be saying that a lot today!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I seem to be saying that a lot today!
:p It doesn't bother me too much. I just have to use the 2 fingers to widen that screen and make the text bigger every time a page loads. Minor annoyance. thanks for the response Jon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome Adam. We live in an imperfect world and have to just get by on some issues.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I find all the main Access forums are mobile unfriendly.
However I can and do use Tapatalk with this site on my mobile.
I find that its a reasonable experience. Not excellent but it is useable.
AFAIK, no other Access forums can be viewed from Tapatalk

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think the issue is that the various Access forums were created before mobile was really a thing.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I think the issue is that the various Access forums were created before mobile was really a thing.
how long has this forum been around? Obviously it's been more than 10 years, so you're certainly right about that Jon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
This forum is about 20 years old, from memory.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
With regard to "Reading on a Mobile"

My last three phones have had reasonable sized Screens, good web browsers and are able to show Access World Forums (AWF) in an unaltered and equivalent way to a PC desktop. However I also use "TapaTalk" an app for my mobile phone which, for some strange reason Adam is unaware of, and unable to get his head around...

Here is a link to the Tapatalk iPhone app, I provide it because I'm reasonably sure Adam has got an iPhone, as the iPhone is recommend for less tech savvy people... I do realise that very able tech people use iPhones, and this is no slur on them, it's just that this device is highly recommended for people that have little aptitude for tech....

I do hope I have provided enough information to deter Adam from making any comment I just don't want to get into a discussion with him at the moment as I don't have several days to devote to educating him...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In response to your private message Adam. I have no idea of your tech ability, and that's the point of my post.

I am copying your style of inferring things about other people on the forum, by way of an example so that you can see what it feels like when people make and post assumptions about you. It's not very nice is it ...

Sent from Newbury UK

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
by way of an example so that you can see what it feels like when people make and post assumptions about you. It's not very nice is it
that was the *old way*, I thought? I explained this in a PM to Micron a while back. The *new way* of making no assumptions and passing blame is a thing of the past, unless you want to carry it on...?? and let us talk about this through PM's shall we? Let us not pollute public threads like we've done in the past here, which I realize was mostly my fault.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Well that's a surprising comment, I thought you liked the public attention?
you and Colin have the same problem Tony! You guys honestly think I'm a typical ignorant member of society and have an uncontrollable urge to make my voice heard and be known? Maybe you think I'm also obsessed with "getting rich" so I can make myself known to the world, like most people in big cities do due to the overcrowdedness and constant fighting for position? I have the Lord Almighty for the purposes of recognition. I need nothing else. and no, that's a not a religious advertisement either! :rolleyes:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>> you and Colin have the same problem Tony! You guys honestly think I'm a typical ignorant member of society and have an uncontrollable urge..... <<<

There you go again Adam, making assumptions. You have no idea what anyone else thinks. Hopefully you are starting to get some idea from the various comments you have received in various threads. But the evidence is contrary, nothing seems to penetrate....

Now if you really want to know what I think:-

Now I'm not making any assumptions these are facts:-
You post in numerous threads.
You qualify your threads with a comment like something along the lines of "I don't know what I talking about" but this is what I think...
Occasionally you make comments which you obviously haven't given much thought to...
You constantly mention other people, either individually, or as a group "the experts here" "the older members", things like this...
Nothing you do on an individual basis, steps over the line but the whole experience is cringe-worthy.

Now I'm going to make some assumptions:-
I think you have much to offer the Access World Forums (AWF)
If you were to focus on one or two areas of MS Access, area's where you were confident & knowledgeable. You might realise now, the purpose of Colin's and my comments in another thread where we said that we do not comment on every single subject. You can read "infer" that another way round as:- Pull your horns in Adam, don't comment on everything, especially things you're unsure about...

Another assumption,
I wonder if you want to be the "Top Poster". Your name appears at the top of most of the rankings, and I wonder if that's your goal? This would explain your scatter-gun approach to answering questions on the forums...

Now some advice:-
Pick an area of MS Access which appeals to you, possibly:-
MySQL integration
Queries
Forms
Reports
Creating and manipulating SQL Statements in VBA (this is one of my favourites)
Handling sub-forms with VBA (again one of my favourites)

I understand that you are conversant with PHP, from PHP I get to MySQL. I also understand that MS Access can use MySQL as a back-end... If there were an expert on creating web pages from MySQL, and Linking MySQL and an MS Access back-end then I think you would be a very useful area of expertise, seeing as MS Access has very poor web integration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom