How would I open different forms based on a combobox selection (1 Viewer)

CuriousGeo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:04
On an After Update Event of a combobox, how would I be able to open a specific form depending on the combobox selection.

The Row source of my combobox is

SELECT tblClinic.ClinicID, tblClinic.Clinic, tblClinic.FKDataModeID FROM tblClinic ORDER BY tblClinic.Clinic;

Depending on the value of the FKDataModeID I want either Form A or Form B to open.

My DataMode refers to a data entry method that would be used (in this case 1=Barcode scanning entry OR 2=Manual data entry). So if the clinic is specified as a Barcode type I want the Barcode Form to open; If the clinic is specified as Manual, I want the Manual form to open.

Thank you for any help.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:04
Use a select case statement. Something like

Code:
Private Sub ComboName_AfterUpdate()

Select Case Me.ComboName

Case 1
DoCmd.openForm "FormA"

Case 2
DoCmd.openForm "FormB"

End Select

End Sub

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:04
Hi. If you can add the name of the form to open in the dropdown (it can be a hidden column), you can simplify the code to something like:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm Me.ComboboxName.Column(x)

CuriousGeo

Registered User.
Local time
Use a select case statement. Something like

Code:
Private Sub ComboName_AfterUpdate()

Select Case Me.ComboName

Case 1
DoCmd.openForm "FormA"

Case 2
DoCmd.openForm "FormB"

End Select

End Sub

This sounds like a workable idea, one question though. How/Where do I specify the criteria to select the appropriate Case

If the combo selection is 1 = Form A (Case 1)
If combo selection is 2 = Form A (Case 1)
If combo selection 3 = Form B (Case 2) and so on....

CuriousGeo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. If you can add the name of the form to open in the dropdown (it can be a hidden column), you can simplify the code to something like:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm Me.ComboboxName.Column(x)

This sounds simple enough, but could you explain how I would get the Form Name, just create a field in my table with the form name in there? Then add it to the row source of the combobox? Or are you talking about using the Access (hidden) system tables that hold properties of all the database objects?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This sounds simple enough, but could you explain how I would get the Form Name, just create a field in my table with the form name in there? Then add it to the row source of the combobox? Or are you talking about using the Access (hidden) system tables that hold properties of all the database objects?
Hi. Sure. Earlier, you said this:
Depending on the value of the FKDataModeID I want either Form A or Form B to open.
So, depending on "how" you have determined which form to open based on FKDataModeID, that's what you'll need to add to the dropdown. For example, you could create another table to list the form to open based on the value of FKDataModeID. Then, you can join that table into the row source query of your dropdown. The bottom line is to add the name of the form to open as a new column in the dropdown. Hope that makes sense...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
This sounds like a workable idea, one question though. How/Where do I specify the criteria to select the appropriate Case

I suggested that based on what you said your combo box values were in post #1.
It sounded like you had two columns with the first column bound but hidden and values 1, 2.
The second visible column would show the data entry mode : Barcode or Manual.

Have I understood you correctly?

CuriousGeo

Registered User.
Local time
I suggested that based on what you said your combo box values were in post #1.
It sounded like you had two columns with the first column bound but hidden and values 1, 2.
The second visible column would show the data entry mode : Barcode or Manual.

Have I understood you correctly?

Thanks for responding for clarification. The combo does not have Barcode or Manual as the visible elements. The combo is actually 3 columns
1st column is bound and hidden (ID for a clinic)
2nd column is visible, shows the clinic name
3rd column is hidden and is the value for Barcode-1 or Manual-2
Code:
ClinicID	Clinic	FKDataModeID
1		Abbey		1
2		Barts		1
3		Crossfield	1
4		Diego		2
5		Echowood	1
6		Fairwald	1
7		Goldmill	1
8		Highmere	1
9		Morton		2
10		Roseville	1
11		Strongmoor	1
12		Waterbridge	1

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In that case use
Code:
Select Case Me.ComboName.Column(2) 
Case 1
…
Case 2
End Select

CuriousGeo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Sure. Earlier, you said this:

So, depending on "how" you have determined which form to open based on FKDataModeID, that's what you'll need to add to the dropdown. For example, you could create another table to list the form to open based on the value of FKDataModeID. Then, you can join that table into the row source query of your dropdown. The bottom line is to add the name of the form to open as a new column in the dropdown. Hope that makes sense...

Thank you dbGuy! Reading your latest reply finally clicked in my head. I was kind of thinking that's what you meant earlier. I just didn't think it would be that simple!

I made a table containing the form names and added it to my combobox row source, joining the DataModeID and the FormID. The form name was the 3rd column (hidden)
Code:
Private Sub cboClinic_AfterUpdate()

DoCmd.OpenForm Me.cboClinic.Column(2)

End Sub

CuriousGeo

Registered User.
Local time
In that case use
Code:
Select Case Me.ComboName.Column(2) 
Case 1
…
Case 2
End Select

Thank you isladogs! I tried your suggestion and it worked as well! Your response came just minutes after I had tried dbGuy's suggestion.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Re: How would I open different forms basedO on a combobox selection

Whichever solution you decide to use, we were happy to help.
Good luck with the rest of your project.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ditto! Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom