Sub Form Null Values (1 Viewer)

eoinmick

Local time
Today, 18:04
I am trying to check there are no null values in Sub Form (Using Forename)...I have tried the code below and it is not working, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Pupil Table with a separate table for contacts (subForm) and added this code to a 'Save' command button

UG added code Tags

Code:
Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
   'Ensure a Name has been selected
    If Me.frmPupilContact_subform.Forename Is Null Then
        MsgBox "You must enter a name", vbOKOnly
       Else
        'Otherwise save
        DoCmd.Save
        MsgBox "The registration has been saved", vbOKOnly
        'Close and open the form to clear it
        DoCmd.Close
        DoCmd.OpenForm ""
    End If
End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:04
try

Code:
    If IsNull(Me.frmPupilContact_subform.Form.Forename) Then

Else

Me.Dirty = False

End If

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:04
got it thanks to gtimmies thread

Hi. Please consider posting your working code or a link to the thread you mentioned, in case it helps others in the future. Cheers!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The validation code DOES NOT belong in the save button. Validation code such as this belongs in the FORM's BeforeUpdate event. In that event, if the validation code finds an error, you can cancel the save and therefore prevent the bad data from being saved. The code, where it is now, can be bypassed and unless you have validation rules on the table, the bad data will be saved.
Code:
Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
    On Error GoTo ErrSub
    If Me.Dirty Then
        DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
    Endif
ExitSub:
    Exit Sub
ErrSub:
    Select Case Err.Number
        Case 2501
            Resume Next
        Case Else
            Msgbox Err.Number & "--" & Err.Description
            Resume ExitSub
    End Select
End Sub
Code:
Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
   'Ensure a Name has been selected
    If Me.Forename & "" = "" Then
        Ne,Forename.SetFocus
        Cancel = True
        Exit Sub
    End If
End Sub
Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
        'Close and open the form to clear it
        DoCmd.Close
        DoCmd.OpenForm ""
End Sub

The validation code MUST be in the subform, NOT in the main form. When focus shifts from the subform to the main form, Access AUTOMATICALLY SAVES the subform record so you do not have the control you think you have because you are using the wrong events.

Also,
There is something wrong with your flow if you have to actually close a form and reopen it. You might want to post the database so we can help to move the code to the correct events.

Access gives you all the control you need, you simply have to understand the purpose of each event to understand what code needs to go where :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome. Despite all the forum postings on this topic, there is still confusion on how bound forms work and why your validation MUST be controlled in the FORM's BeforeUpdate event or sometimes in an individual control's BeforeUpdate event. ALL other events can be bypassed and allow bad data to be saved. In my apps, all validation code goes into the FORM's BeforeUpdate event. The only time I might deviate is if I want to raise an error message as the data entry is happening. For example, on entry of an SSN, I would want to check for duplicates immediately to prevent further data entry rather than have to reject the record save at the end.

The FORM's BeforeUpdate event is like the flapper at the end of a funnel. It is the last stop before a record gets saved and NOTHING gets past it regardless of what caused the record to be saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom