How to merging two MS Databases (1 Viewer)

LearningEveryDay

Local time
Today, 11:09
Hello all
I hope I am posting this request to the correct discussion thread.

I am new to MS Access, this is probably a simple request, I have two separate MS Access db.

Have 2 MS Dbs
DB1.- Delivieries created in 2019, Deliveries Process in 2019.
DB2. -Delivieries created in 2019, Deliveries Process in 2019.

I need to create a 3rd MS Db which contents the data from the 2019 and 2020 datasets.

The 2019 will remindStatic, the 2020 db will be appended to each week.

The new 3db will be reported on via Tableau.

Is this possible.:confused:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:09
Hi. Access or Tableau can connect to other data sources. So, if you want to create a 3rd db, you could simply connect it to your other two dbs. Or, you could skip creating the 3rd db and simply connect Tableau to the other two dbs.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:09
Start with the 2019 database. Add a column to the parent table so you can identify this as 2019 data. If there already is a date field that can be used for this purpose, then this new field will not be necessary.

Add a temp field to the deliveries table to hold the autonumber of the 2020 records.

Append the 2020 data to the 2019 table, omit the autonumber from the append but append the 2020 autonumber to the temp field.

To append the deliveries processed table, join the 2020 processed table to the merged table on the temp field, replace the esisting FK with the new autonumber from the joined table.

Once you validate the results, remove the temp old autonumber field since it is only needed to sync the 2020 tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom