db Split (1 Viewer)

durdle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:48
Hey,

I have another db split FE/BE question. Here's how I figure it, you go to the Tools---->Database Utilities---->Make MDE File. One you specify the located of the Front End(I want to put it on the network, any thought?). So once I completed that I opened the FE and the tables and queries were there. I though the way it worked was that the FE only had the Forms and Reports and the tables and queries was located in the BE(I also have it one the network).
Any opinions on what I should do here?
I didn't want to put FE's the users machines becasue there are 30 or 40 work station's. I guess I could put the FE on the network and get the users to copy that to there local machines?

Any help would be great

durdle
________
lincoln continental mark vii history

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
The be contains ONLY tables. The fe contains all the other objects. When you look at the tables tab in the fe, you will see linked tables as well as local tables. You can tell the difference because linked table names have a black arrow (for Access tables) or a Globe (for ODBC tables) to the left of the table name.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:48
It's not clear why you want to split the db.

If you want all users to use the same FE, why copy it to their local machine? Why not let them run the FE from the server? There are reasons why one way is better than the other, depending on the circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom