Can't enter Data into a query (1 Viewer)

Sharon Hague

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:15
Hi All

I have created a query from 3 tables. I have a main table 'Employee Details' (Tbl 1) another table 'Absence Details' (Tbl 2) and a third 'Holiday Entitlement' (Tbl 3)

Employee Details is my main db with a primary key set to Employee Initials. In Relationships I have joined my Employee Details to both Absence Details and Holiday Entitlement as a one to many relationship, ticked enforce referential integrity and also cascade delete related records, using Empoyee Initals as my join. I have no primary key set on these two.

My query once run brings up all the information I need, however I can't enter any data into this.

Is this due to one to many relationship being used more than once from any one table?

If so how can I get around this when I don't have any field in Tbl 2 and 3 which is unique therefore I can't set a primary key.

I'd appreciate anybody's advice.

Cheers.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:15
You cannot create an updatable query from these three tables because tables 2 and 3 do not have any relationship to each other. They only relate to table1. The result is that the recordset created by the join is a cartesian product which in slightly simpler terms is a recordset of tables1and2 joined to a recordset of tables1and3. This will cause duplication of the data from table2 and table3.

Three table joins can be updatable but not this one. If you tell us more about what you need to do, I'm sure that someone can help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom