Select Fields but Sort by another Field (1 Viewer)

Maldrid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:57
I have a query that selects two fields and they must be Distinct, but I want the recordset to come sorted by a field I do not select. Is there a way of accomplishing this doing a sub select? Or some other fashion?

Here is my query that I have right now
Code:
sSQLQuery = "SELECT DISTINCT [Bill Code], [Price Type], [Reference Code] FROM CBill" & sCBILL & " WHERE [KitchenID] = '" & sKitchenID_P _
                    & "' AND [Customer ID] = '" & sCustomerID_P _
                    & "' AND [Flight #] = '" & rsFlight("Flight #") _
                    & "' AND [Flight # Seq] = '" & rsFlight("Flight # Seq") _
                    & "' AND [Segment #] = '" & rsFlight("Segment #") _
                    & "' AND [Flight Date] BETWEEN #" & sFromDate_P & "# AND #" & sToDate_P _
                    & "# AND [Recap Type] = '" & sRecapType_P _
                    & "' AND [Account Code] = '" & rsAccount("Account Code") & "' ORDER BY [SEQ #]"

Now obviously this query will not work because I am selecting Bill Code and Price Type and trying to sort by SEQ #, but is there a way of doing this?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
No. The query summarizes away everything but the selected columns. Rather than using Distinct, you might want to use Group By. In that case, you can add Max([Seq #]) to obtain one Seq # for each unique instance of [Bill Code], [Price Type], [Reference Code]

BTW, it is poor practice to use embedded spaces or special characters in your column or other object names.

Maldrid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:57
Thanks I will try to mess with that.

Thanks for the tip. It is just that this is a huge database and I already wrote tons of code for it that it would take me a very very long time to fix this. I will remember for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom