Dual Platforms (1 Viewer)

Thecherub

Man with a Mission
Local time
Yesterday, 20:15
This is probably a stupid question and I think the answer is no but here it is.

can you run a Access 2000 Db on 2000 and 97 at the same time without converting it endlessly. We have both versions floating around the office. some have 97 because the need it for specific applications.

Any ideas :D :)

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 04:15
Yes, it's possible. In my work, I use a 97 backend with both Access 97 and Access 2002 frontends.

You should split your database into frontends and a backend so that you don't have to convert anymore.

Thecherub

Man with a Mission
Local time
OK the question then becomes......

Mile-O-Phile said:
Yes, it's possible. In my work, I use a 97 backend with both Access 97 and Access 2002 frontends.

You should split your database into frontends and a backend so that you don't have to convert anymore.

......How does one create a Frontend and backend? :confused:

also my database is built in 2000, would that affect things?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 04:15
I build mine in A2002 and once done I convert it back to A97. In A97 I use the Database Splitter in the Tools -> Menu and it creates the frontend and backend automatically.

Basically, the backend is your tables in a database of their own and the front end is everything else (forms, queries, reports, etc.). The Linked Table Manager will link the frontend to the tables in the backend.

Once I've got the 97 database split I then convert the frontend to A2002 so that I have both a working A97 and A2002 frontend.

Are you saying, however, that you are passing development database back and forth between releases of Access?

Make a duplicate of your database and have a shot at using the Database Splitter.

Thecherub

Man with a Mission
Local time
What do I sound that stupid....:)

Mile-O-Phile said:
Are you saying, however, that you are passing development database back and forth between releases of Access?

No no no :) .....I tried to open it in 97 and the system could not find it. I stoped right there. :cool:

Mile-O-Phile said:
Make a duplicate of your database and have a shot at using the Database Splitter.

I'll try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom