exporting text files won't save sort order (1 Viewer)

C

cesarsalad

I have been struggling for the last 3 hours for this problem and it is incredibly annoying. I can sort fine but when I try to export it exports in the original order. How do I make it export in the new order? I tried looking at the forums for previous topics and I made a Query for the datasheet, sorted that, exported, and it still doesnt work. What do I do?? :mad:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:27
I made a Query for the datasheet, sorted that, exported, and it still doesnt work.

Well, I was going to suggest this exact step until you said you had tried it...

OK, when all else fails, only two possibilities remain. One, your machine needs to be seen by GhostBusters. Two, you are not exporting from where you think you are. I can't help you with the first case, but I can give you a hint for a brute force method to fix the second case.

Create a new table that exactly matches the field descriptions of the original table, but create it empty. Set up the primary, secondary, tertiary, whatever-ary keys you need to assert the correct export order. Then run an append query that loads this new table for your old table.

Now try to export that new table that has totally different keys. See if that does the trick.

ReAn

Dangerous Programmer...
Local time
Today, 01:27
Another method is make a "Make-Table" query that sorts the data.

Make it into another table, now the new table should be sorted the way you need. Now you can export from that table.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:27
There is no need for a temp table. A query with an order by clause WILL retain its order when exported. You may just be sorting the query using the ascending/descending buttons as you were sorting the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom