22 inch wide form print issue (1 Viewer)

Sac

Local time
Today, 14:35
Hi all,

I hope that you are all save from this pandemic.

I created a long form that displays pictures, its comments and distance where the picture were taken while doing the video inspection of a sewer pipe. I can display the info (pics, comments and distance for each picture) as a portrait orientation (displaying the pipe vertically). I have added a page break so that the pictures don't cut out
I have also placed a header logo in the page header so that it will display in every page. However, when I arrange the pipe horizontally, the form becomes 22 inch wide.
How can I do the same as the long form? When I print the form, the last picture on the printed page and comments cuts out and it displays the second half of the picture in the second page and so on... In addition, the header only display in the first printed page.
I read the information from a query to display it on the form.
Attached is a sample screen shot of the form with the pipe layout horizontally with the pictures, comments and distances were the snap shots were taken.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sac

Attachments

• HorizontalArrangement.jpg
    HorizontalArrangement.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 297

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:35
Print landscape on 22 inch wide paper? However, largest copier/printer paper I am aware of is 11 x 17. Larger size output could mean using a plotter/wide format device.

Sorry, AFAIK there is no such thing as a horizontal page break in Access.

Should print report not form, however, issue will be the same.

Last edited:

Sac

Local time
Print landscape on 22 inch wide paper? However, largest copier/printer paper I am aware of is 11 x 17. Larger size output could mean using a plotter device.

Sorry, AFAIK there is no such thing as a horizontal page break in Access.

Should print report not form, however, issue will be the same.
June7,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I was hoping if there is a way around this using VBA to force it to print on any paper size. Say 8 pics per page (top and bottom of the pipe. with the page header in every page. Yes and page break does not work. I also tried ForceNewPage.

Cheers,

Sac

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:35
Hi. Have you tried creating a report for it yet. You'll have the same size limit, but you should be able to select a custom paper size. You'll probably just have to duplicate the header across the top.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:35
At least in theory, Access can create a displayed report or form that is 22.75 inches high and 22.75 inches wide. There is a hard-math reason for those limits. HOWEVER, the real problem is that whatever you print doesn't actually go through Access - it goes through the Windows Printer driver to be rendered as a bit-mapped image so that your printer can produce it. Modern printers are either ink-jet or laser-jet, both of which are actually pixel-oriented devices.

I'm thinking that first, you need a whompin' big printer and second, you need to dynamically "diddle" with text and image-control placement on the form/report so that you can conform to the printer dimensions.

This link tells you how to find the current (default) printer (which is part of the Application object) and how to see its properties.

If you can determine the printer's abilities, you might be able to parametrize something or open one report from a group of similar reports. So if you know you have 16 inches available, print 3 columns. If you know you only have 11 inches, print 2 columns. Have reports that are identical except for the number of columns you print. Then you can use ordinary print pagination techniques.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:35
At least in theory, Access can create a displayed report or form that is 22.75 inches high and 22.75 inches wide.
Actually forms & reports can be up to 200 inches high by 22.75 inches wide .... and that's in design view: Access specifications (microsoft.com)

When printing reports there is no real height limit.
The only way to exceed the width limit would be to export the report to PDF then zoom and print that

Reactions: Sac

Sac

Local time
Hi. Have you tried creating a report for it yet. You'll have the same size limit, but you should be able to select a custom paper size. You'll probably just have to duplicate the header across the top.
TheDBGuy,
Thanks for suggestion. No I have not try making a report yet. I will give it a try.
Thank you!!

Sac

Sac

Local time
At least in theory, Access can create a displayed report or form that is 22.75 inches high and 22.75 inches wide. There is a hard-math reason for those limits. HOWEVER, the real problem is that whatever you print doesn't actually go through Access - it goes through the Windows Printer driver to be rendered as a bit-mapped image so that your printer can produce it. Modern printers are either ink-jet or laser-jet, both of which are actually pixel-oriented devices.

I'm thinking that first, you need a whompin' big printer and second, you need to dynamically "diddle" with text and image-control placement on the form/report so that you can conform to the printer dimensions.

This link tells you how to find the current (default) printer (which is part of the Application object) and how to see its properties.

If you can determine the printer's abilities, you might be able to parametrize something or open one report from a group of similar reports. So if you know you have 16 inches available, print 3 columns. If you know you only have 11 inches, print 2 columns. Have reports that are identical except for the number of columns you print. Then you can use ordinary print pagination techniques.
The Doc Man,
I read the printing properties. Yes i think grouping is the key. My idea is to loop and make a counter to display 8 pics. 4 on top of the pipe and 4 under the pipe by page.

Thank you for the help!

Sac

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:35
Actually forms & reports can be up to 200 inches high by 22.75 inches wide .... and that's in design view: Access specifications (microsoft.com)

When printing reports there is no real height limit.
The only way to exceed the width limit would be to export the report to PDF then zoom and print that

My bad... SECTIONS are limited to 22.75 inches high. But you can, indeed, string sections together to make a larger total.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:35
TheDBGuy,
Thanks for suggestion. No I have not try making a report yet. I will give it a try.
Thank you!!

Sac
Let us know how it goes...

SHANEMAC51

Local time
Today, 21:35
I have also placed a header logo in the page header so that it will display in every page. However, when I arrange the pipe horizontally, the form becomes 22 inch wide.
why not break the pipe into parts and link defects and descriptions to each part

the standard report turns out to be 210* 297

Attachments

• usa_020211.png
    usa_020211.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 165

SHANEMAC51

Local time
Today, 21:35
why not break the pipe into parts and link defects and descriptions to each part

at the same time, the drawings are external, they are attached by link, the database will not swell up to 2 gigabytes

Sac

Local time

SHANEMAC51

Thanks for your input. That is also an alternative. Great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom