...a bowing and scraping noob (1 Viewer)

lord_claude

Local time
Today, 14:35
Hi all
I live in the glorious city of Gloucester. Home of Gloucester Cathederal, Double Gloucester Cheese, the famous "Gloucester old Spot" and many other things with the word "Gloucester" in it's name. To give you an idea of my ancientness, my first PC was a (brand new) Packard Bell SX50, with 4 meg of RAM, a 320MB hard drive running Windows 3.1. I think it cost me £1300 (that included a 12 month warranty... D'oh!) and for a while it was great! Since then I have spent the best part of 25 years implementing bespoke applications into shops and banks, writing documentation and running training courses. Now, after various unavoidable circumstance, I find myself dusting off an old idea/project that I started 5 years ago, but stopped due to time constraints, money and of course a lack of knowledge of databases.
Having avoided using Access wherever Excel could be "shoe-horned" in, I have done so... However I now find myself having to be realistic with things and understand that Excel cannot do everything... :(
So, with a moderate amount of Excel knowledge, a great deal of swearing, and many many cups of tea (I've given up coffee) I have created an Access database that allows me to (on a basic level at least) add entries using data from multiple tables through a "form"... (thank you, thank you, thank you... you're too kind!). That, I believe is the easy bit. I now stand at the edge of the abyss, and stare into the darkness as I think of how I can get Access to work for me now. Make my life easier and pull information out of it. I know this will be a continuous learning curve, but I hope to one day be able to at least talk knowledgably about the subject, and one day be able to advise someone in my position now, about how to achieve "stuff" in Access.
Thank you all in advance for time and any future help moving forward.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:35
Welcome to the forums!

To help us better understand your needs, I would be very grateful if you could complete this 2 minute survey: Click here for the survey

All surveys are anonymous and not linked to your account.

I want to keep this the very best place for Access and your feedback helps us!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:35
Welcome aboard, quite the intro there...!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:35
Welcome to AWF!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:35
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:35
Hello @lord_claude , welcome to AWF! Sounds like a worthy endeavor you are on. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom