Ability to add rows from query results (1 Viewer)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:45
From a Access database that I inherited. Users used to be able (from a form) run a query and then add data (i.e, new rows). But now that the the database is split and the backend is on MS-SQL, they no longer can do this. I do not think this will be possible. I think they will have to add data directly to the table or have another form for adding data.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:45
From a Access database that I inherited. Users used to be able (from a form) run a query and then add data (i.e, new rows). But now that the the database is split and the backend is on MS-SQL, they no longer can do this. I do not think this will be possible. I think they will have to add data directly to the table or have another form for adding data.

By the normal rules of Access Database Splitting, there should be little or no issues in doing what you want using a form. In most cases, MS Access users do not notice any difference when using SQL Server as a back end.

If you are having issues, then first make sure all affected users have proper permissions to use the SQL Server back end, and then make sure that the location of the SQL Server on the network does not create so much traffic as to generate timeout conditions that your program is unprepared for.

These are two common issues that can occur in SQL Server conversions. The same should apply for MS-SQL.

-- Rookie

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I think the issue is because they are using a query. They have the rights to add data. They may have to add the data directly to the table for now. They have hired a contractor to give them a web-based front end, thus eliminating Access all together.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
It turns out (and I should have known this), the table never had a unique key added to it. It should be okay once the DBA adds a unique key to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom