Access 16, set some fields in split form datasheet read-only (1 Viewer)

akika

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:05
hi,

I have a split form with a datasheet on bottom.

Form and datasheet contains these fields:
Name | Address | Phone | Email address | Date_Registered | Status

How can i set specific fields (date_registered & status) as read-only in the datasheet?

in the properties, only Allow Edits & Read only are available.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Just to clarify, are you saying you still want those fields as editable in the form area but read only in the datasheet?

akika

Registered User.
Local time
Just to clarify, are you saying you still want those fields as editable in the form area but read only in the datasheet?

yes the fields in the forms will be editable except some will be read only.
but it the datasheet is it possible to make status and date registered as editable as it will be easy to copy paste the same data for other records.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
yes the fields in the forms will be editable except some will be read only.
but it the datasheet is it possible to make status and date registered as editable as it will be easy to copy paste the same data for other records.
Hmm, not sure if that's possible. I'll have to give it a try. But, you may end up using a subform instead.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:05
PMFJI
A split form looks like two separate items but is actually one form with a clever bit of trickery. So I think the answer is that its not possible to make fields editable in the single form section but locked in the datasheet.

However, you may well be able to do that using an EMULATED split form (ESF) - see http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/emulated-split-form/4594398119. It is also available in sample databases area here at AWF

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:05
i disagree, you can Locked some field on design view and it will be applied to the form (both Split part).

Edit:
which statement is correct post#1 or post#3 (editable or read-only?)

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:05
akia wants to have fldA locked in the ds view but editable in the single view. This is NOT possible in a split form because as isladogs mentioned, this form is trickery and is actually ONE form in two views.

Access split forms have some nice features such as the splitter but I still don't use them because of their quirks. I always build an unbound main form with two bound subforms. One in DS view and the other in single view and sync the two so that when you click on a row in the DS view, that record appears in the single view.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whilst my own personal preference is also the unbound form with two synchronised subforms that Pat described, I can confirm the OPs requirement is indeed possible using the emulated split form I mentioned earlier. This has all the features of a standard split form but without its disadvantages

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:05
Colin, I wasn't questioning your example. I should have looked at it but I simply assumed it was done with the two subforms on an unbound form and so therefore would satisfy the request. All I said was that the MS split form didn't support the request.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Pat
No worries. I knew you were referring to the built in Access split form. I had mentioned the ESF back on post #5 but as I haven’t used it in a couple of years (and then only for testing), I thought I’d check that it works

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom