Solved Access crash (1 Viewer)

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:06
Hi all!
Been away from Access for 12 years. Lost my hard drive along with Access 97. Recently bought a Office Pro Plus 2007 for a couple of $$ with Access. Quite a difference in the look and feel. Got a db set up for my wife with very few problems. The main problem I have is Access hangs for several minutes at various times or outright crashes. Wondering if it is to be expected on a Windows 10, 64 bit running Access 2007, 32 bit?
Thanks,
Jim

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:06
Hi Jim. Running an A97 db using A2007 could be part of the reason. If you want to be sure and have the time, you could try creating a new db using A2007 to see if the problem goes away.

Just a thought...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:06
I run a 32-bit Access on a Win10/64-bit system with no problem. The bulk of Windows utilities are 32-bit and run inside a shell that handles all 32-bit addressing issues. That isn't likely to be your problem. What is more likely is that you have file-format issues because every so often, MS draws a line in the sand that says, "If you have a DB in this format, you must upgrade it to run on this new version of Access." Therefore, theDBguy's suggestion to create a new DB might be helpful. Then you could try to import stuff from the older DB into the new DB to see if everything makes it.

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time
Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the replies.
Db was created in A2007. No A97 within a 100 miles. Doesn't seem to be any one thing that causes the crash nor the hang problem; opening forms, forms in design view, running queries, queries in design view...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, not a format issue then. When you use your DB, if it doesn't crowd out the task bar at the bottom, be sure that there is a little time/date segment. If Access hangs, can't help you. BUT if it actually crashes, open the Windows Start >> Settings (the gear symbol)

From there, search for "Control Panel" and find Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer. You have up to five logs to look through, but since they are sorted by time, it will be easy to look for a record of the crash. If so, you want to find the exception code and a few other things that you can bring back here. Often I can diagnose those crashes. (Used to be a sys admin, saw my share of nasty crashes.)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
OK, not a format issue then. When you use your DB, if it doesn't crowd out the task bar at the bottom, be sure that there is a little time/date segment. If Access hangs, can't help you. BUT if it actually crashes, open the Windows Start >> Settings (the gear symbol)

From there, search for "Control Panel" and find Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer. You have up to five logs to look through, but since they are sorted by time, it will be easy to look for a record of the crash. If so, you want to find the exception code and a few other things that you can bring back here. Often I can diagnose those crashes. (Used to be a sys admin, saw my share of nasty crashes.)
Or do as I do, just type eventvwr in the search box, from the magnifying glass icon on the task bar. Just a little quicker. :)
Also works from the command line.

You will likely need to look in the Application Log.

CarlettoFed

Local time
Today, 16:06
Maybe if you can attach the database, devoid of any sensitive data, you can see if it runs regularly on another computer. If so it means that it depends on your Access.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:06
Microsoft does NOT discount versions of office. If you bought O2007 for a "few bucks", you bought a pirated copy and are not likely to have a valid license since licenses are also not transferable.

O365 can be purchased for ~$100 as an annual subscription for FIVE copies on different machines or family members. OR ~$60 for a one user license.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Microsoft does NOT discount versions of office.
True .... but reputable resellers do sometimes discount versions of Office absolutely legally.
For example on Black Friday weekend, Amazon UK & Currys (a well known UK retailer) both heavily discounted Microsoft 365 from its usual price of £80 GBP.
Although my current licence doesn't expire until March 2021, I bought a copy of it from Currys for £40 and the license is an official MS license with the same conditions (FIVE copies on different machines or family members.) as in the previous post.
The license will be valid for 12 months from the date I first choose to install it.
I could have bought several copies to last me the next few years if I wished to do so
So it does pay to shop around ... but only using reputable retailers

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Value-added Resellers can sometimes legally sell you older copies of things that are completely legal despite being old. Before I got involved with the Navy, which only buys in bulk anyway, I worked for a VAR who could sell Digital Equipment Corporation software at a discounted price. I have no direct experience with a Microsoft VAR, but I know I got discounts for Windows licenses back around 2004 when I bought my and my wife's XP systems from Sam's. And they buy in such huge bulk that they can pass along quite a bit of savings.

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time

Thanks for the help.
Found the info. This is the most recent (8:06) This morning

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 12.0.4518.1014, time stamp: 0x4542815c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x0112c608
Faulting process id: 0x2c2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6dc5b4866fd76
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 6c9b0930-16f6-45e3-9349-546c26e4fc9a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

A few minutes before 7:08:

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 12.0.4518.1014, time stamp: 0x4542815c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.662, time stamp: 0x5f641e44
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e6ac3
Faulting process id: 0x778
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6dbd98ee7f147
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0cfbc001-8e63-4a21-a04b-f6c7b361b021

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, the for exception code 0xc000001d is that some file is missing that is necessary for whatever you tried to do. It could also occur that the file isn't really missing but couldn't be launched via internal actions of Access. (Not something you do explicitly with VBA, usually, for this error.)

I would look to repair Office. If you have the original distribution kit that contains Access, you can launch it and ask it to do a "Repair." The same would be true if you have your Office kit, which also supports a "Repair" option. (I said it that way because some versions of Office don't contain Access and you have to buy it separately.)

The actual error was within Access itself, not in a module that it called, so I would try to implement that "Repair" option sooner rather than later. Since it doesn't say what it was trying to launch (no faulting module), look at the error just before that one to see if some OTHER module failed to load or start and thus caused a crash record. It might not be there, but if you look at the entry that is time-wise just before the one you showed us, that is where such an entry would be, because those event entries are sorted chronologically.

For exception code 0xc0000374, you have a "Heap" corruption.

This article actually calls out ntdll.dll so it is similar to the case you have. Basically, it is saying that when you tried to launch something, that something ate your socks for you. Again, one of the possibilities is that there is a faulty copy of whatever you were trying to launch at that time. Again, my starting point would be to repair the installation of Office.

Now, the million-dollar-question... what happened? This is going to be a "damned if I know" case, I'm afraid. However, check your Windows Update via Start >> Settings (gear icon) >> Windows Updates >> View Update History. If you have a recent series of Office updates or updates to specific Office members, it could have been a botched update. It happens.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Curiously I have been having aborts in Chrome due to ntdll.dll ?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Gasman - check the second article. One of the possibilities is interaction with security software, which doesn't involve Access at all.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@Gasman - check the second article. One of the possibilities is interaction with security software, which doesn't involve Access at all.
Thanks Doc,
I do have the same error code as well

Code:
Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 87.0.4280.88, time stamp: 0x5fc6dfae
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.662, time stamp: 0x407a0735
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000f4863
Faulting process ID: 0xdcc8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6dc56202fcedf
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 3781fcc8-7be5-4898-85e7-da05c19530ef

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time
OK, the for exception code 0xc000001d is that some file is missing that is necessary for whatever you tried to do. It could also occur that the file isn't really missing but couldn't be launched via internal actions of Access. (Not something you do explicitly with VBA, usually, for this error.)

I would look to repair Office. If you have the original distribution kit that contains Access, you can launch it and ask it to do a "Repair." The same would be true if you have your Office kit, which also supports a "Repair" option. (I said it that way because some versions of Office don't contain Access and you have to buy it separately.)

The actual error was within Access itself, not in a module that it called, so I would try to implement that "Repair" option sooner rather than later. Since it doesn't say what it was trying to launch (no faulting module), look at the error just before that one to see if some OTHER module failed to load or start and thus caused a crash record. It might not be there, but if you look at the entry that is time-wise just before the one you showed us, that is where such an entry would be, because those event entries are sorted chronologically.

For exception code 0xc0000374, you have a "Heap" corruption.

This article actually calls out ntdll.dll so it is similar to the case you have. Basically, it is saying that when you tried to launch something, that something ate your socks for you. Again, one of the possibilities is that there is a faulty copy of whatever you were trying to launch at that time. Again, my starting point would be to repair the installation of Office.

Now, the million-dollar-question... what happened? This is going to be a "damned if I know" case, I'm afraid. However, check your Windows Update via Start >> Settings (gear icon) >> Windows Updates >> View Update History. If you have a recent series of Office updates or updates to specific Office members, it could have been a botched update. It happens.
Thanks for all the help. I found an update CAB for Access 2007 in the Microsoft update catalog. I'll try soon.

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time
I installed the SP3 for office 2007 and tried Access. No problem....yet

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It might take time to find the culprit, but updating Office is a good thing to try.

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time
I checked my virtual memory in Windows 10. It was set for a minimum of 16 megs and maximum was set for 1861. I changed the minimum to 2048 and maximum to 4096. Restarted and put Access 2007 through an intensive session of form changes, creating forms, queries. NO PROBLEMS!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Whoa! Having a max of 1.86 Gb virtual memory is kind of low, even for a 4 Gb system. If you have even 4 Gb of RAM then that is TERRIBLY low. The 2Gb to 4 Gb range is a reasonable setting. Running out of virtual memory could surely cause an Access crash. I might have expected a different error message, but here is the mechanism for the 0xc000001d case.

When you are going to launch something in Windows, your virtual memory allocation gets involved because there is a (guess you would call it a) system safety rule that says, if you are going to launch something, you must allocate enough virtual space to hold all of it. This is also called "swap space" and "page space" on some systems. Same concept. The space involved is the amount of disk space needed to hold a snapshot copy of the memory resident image of the process in question.

The rule is in place because for smaller systems, if you have to do an out-swap (pull ALL of a process into the virtual disk space), there has to a place for it or you would reach a "deadly embrace" waiting for some 3rd process to release some amount of memory. Systems can hang up when this happens. I've seen it a couple of times.

Well, anyway: If you need to, but cannot, allocate virtual space for something that was not previously in memory, the launch fails. (Remember, one of the possible explanations for 0xc000001d was that something couldn't be launched for some reason.)

Even if you have a bunch of RAM, that rule about having enough virtual space for your new process still applies. On the performance monitor for memory, the Commit/Charge number relates to virtual space consumption. If your free virtual space goes to zero, you can expect a lot of problems to occur because of what cannot be started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom