Access Database Cloud Site (1 Viewer)

Joe.Richardson

Local time
Today, 17:31
The only issue for sites like this is (a) whether they have a suitable environment available and (b) whether they would accept YOUR copy of Access 2013 to run on their servers. Plus, of course, cost factors for YOUR business and clients.

Don't forget that data center sites take on certain responsibilities. If you have shared an older version of Access, at least in theory you need enough licensed copies to cover your users. The data center doesn't DARE offer a service that would violate Microsoft licensing rules and requirements. That would be a big lawsuit, 'cause MS isn't known for generosity when it comes to software licensing. That scenario - "generous software licensing" - almost falls under the dictionary definition of "oxymoron."
Yes, Microsoft enforces the licenses of 365 plans that can be used on our shared cloud PC's. The customers are responsible for obtaining their own licenses directly from Microslsft like everyone else. We do not handle any licensing.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 19:31
I'm guessing she want's to check out the performance aspect Joe.

JMongi

Local time
Today, 19:31
@Joe.Richardson - Thanks for clarifying many points.

The costs proposition is unique to each situation. I wish you success in your business implementation and know there are some clients that would gladly pay your per user costs for simplicity. I only know the wild west part of MS Access personally. Low tech, smaller companies that don't even understand the concept of a database (compared to an Excel spreadsheet) and would seriously balk at the idea of paying those prices "just" to have remote access via the internet. It's usually pulling teeth to get them to pay for database development or simply to implement this type of system. That's just been my (admittedly) limited experience.

I'm curious to see @Pat Hartman's opinion after the tech demo since she is much more firmly involved with users/clients willing to pay for appropriate business applications and has a better grasp of the economics of that world than I do.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:31
We use Azure because we are experienced with it, but I can certainly see the appeal of this model.
As for costs most of our SME businesses will pay based on a good user experience and don't baulk at the ongoing support and hosting costs, as they often have no one to provide that for them, and if they do they (often an external support IT Company) don't want to get involved with databases of any description.

Joe.Richardson

Local time
Today, 17:31
@Joe.Richardson - Thanks for clarifying many points.

The costs proposition is unique to each situation. I wish you success in your business implementation and know there are some clients that would gladly pay your per user costs for simplicity. I only know the wild west part of MS Access personally. Low tech, smaller companies that don't even understand the concept of a database (compared to an Excel spreadsheet) and would seriously balk at the idea of paying those prices "just" to have remote access via the internet. It's usually pulling teeth to get them to pay for database development or simply to implement this type of system. That's just been my (admittedly) limited experience.

I'm curious to see @Pat Hartman's opinion after the tech demo since she is much more firmly involved with users/clients willing to pay for appropriate business applications and has a better grasp of the economics of that world than I do.
Many companies rely on MS Access databases for their business operations because of its simplicity and affordability. Up until now, they did not an affordable way to use their databases anywhere and everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom